Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Satellite JST Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 05:16 PM
HunkaJunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum Satellite JST Connectors

Does anyone know the exact nomenclature for the small JST connector on the Spektrum satellite receivers? I'm getting quite a collection of failed satellite cables and want to fix them, I have a source, but I'm not quite sure which connectors they are exactly.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

I'm nut sure but the same place that sells Lemon receivers sells extensions that are a lot more stout. Unfortunately they are only in one size but I have used a bunch and if you don't need them longer they work really well.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:57 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by HunkaJunk
Does anyone know the exact nomenclature for the small JST connector on the Spektrum satellite receivers? I'm getting quite a collection of failed satellite cables and want to fix them, I have a source, but I'm not quite sure which connectors they are exactly.
The remote receivers and telemetry X-Bus connectors are JST ZH-series parts.

When I get a new remote receiver or telemetry cable, before it gets used for anything I apply either Tool Dip or Liquid Electrical Tape to the plug/wire area to provide a strain relief and to seal it somewhat from moisture (leads to oxidation/corrosion).

When mounting them in my models, they are mounted to the model frame. I leave only an inch or so at the end for plugging it into the device. This prevents vibration and violent maneuvers from stressing the wires or connections, promoting long life of the model

Andy
Old 11-28-2017, 05:01 PM
HunkaJunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
The remote receivers and telemetry X-Bus connectors are JST ZH-series parts.

When I get a new remote receiver or telemetry cable, before it gets used for anything I apply either Tool Dip or Liquid Electrical Tape to the plug/wire area to provide a strain relief and to seal it somewhat from moisture (leads to oxidation/corrosion).

When mounting them in my models, they are mounted to the model frame. I leave only an inch or so at the end for plugging it into the device. This prevents vibration and violent maneuvers from stressing the wires or connections, promoting long life of the model

Andy
Thanks, I also started putting a strain relief on them some time ago. Fortunately have never lost a model due to a satellite dropping off (knock wood). This last time I flew the plane and took it back to the pits, the next time I powered up the model, nothing, I found a satellite cable was now bad, even after a dab of silicone rubber had been used as a strain relief where the wires go into the connector.

I have heard claims that some receivers will do a total lockout if a satellite drops off during flight, but what I have seen is the next time you power up the model there is no control at all until the satellite problem is resolved.

Last edited by HunkaJunk; 11-28-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:07 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Your experience is correct.