Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Dx9 fades

Old 05-22-2018, 09:53 PM
paulflys4fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dx9 fades

Hi, hope someone on here can help!

The background. I bought a new Dx9, after 9 months or so my smaller models, quads ect began to lose signal. This went worse, one of my helicopters went into hold. I sent the transmitter back and Spektrum sent an email confirming a faulty transmitter. As the UK service was closing they sent a brand new replacement from Germany. This has worked great for 14 months, but last Sunday I had another hold when flying my helicopters.

Iv fitted two brand new receivers with telemetry in two cheap to me foam models to test. Two flights on each this is the recorded results. Flights where 5 mins each. Your thoughts advice please.

Flight one
A:645 B:798 F:223 H 0

Flight Two same model.
A:1052 B:928 F:126 H:0

Second model.

Flight one
A:963 B:1740 F:350 H:0

Flight Two
A:865 B1489 F:289 H:0

Iv not used Telemetry until this test, so I don’t know what’s normal, but I think this indicates that this second transmitter is also failing. Just to repeat this test was carried out on the same night, and with two separate foam models with two brand new Spektrum AR6600T receivers.

As returns in the UK now have to go to Germany and I’m quoted 3-5 weeks I’m reluctant to send it off unless I’m certain it’s faulty.

Thanks

Paul

Old 05-23-2018, 11:15 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Service in the UK is handled by Al's Hobbies.

With DSMX the fade information is almost useless. You don't care about the actual number, just what causes it to increase, in real time. You want to

In 5 minutes of flying 350 frame losses (F, the number that matters here) works out to slightly more than 1 per second. That's pretty high (about 1%). You should be seeing 1/10 of that.

Where are you flying? (Trees? Houses? WiFi nearby?) What type of flying are you doing? (High up, low altitude aerobatics over the runway? Using a quad at low altitude?) Are you using the remote receivers with those AR6600T's?

Andy
Old 05-23-2018, 11:31 AM
paulflys4fun

Hi thanks for the reply. Our flying club is open ground sea level. Nothing in the way for miles. Iv borrowed another dx9 tonight and bound it to my plane and tried again. On that transmitter I had 0 fades. Tried mine again and got 156 fades tonight. Looks like the second replacement DX9 has gone faulty, that’s two in 27 months. Guess I’m very unlucky!

I will get it posted off for testing. Typical we have good weather and the the transmitter needs sending away.

Thanks again for a quick reply

Regards

Paul

Old 05-23-2018, 11:56 AM
AndyKunz

You're welcome.

When you say "156 fades" are you referring A and B? Those are "fades." Worry only about rate of change on these, not the value.

The "F" parameter is Frame Losses, which means that all antennas missed a packet. Consider the value, but over time and not as an absolute. 156 Frame Losses in a 5-minute period is about 0.5% loss, and is not bad if there are others flying or operating their radios (or phones). When flying solo and NOTHING is around it's still not uncommon to drop 0.1% over time (30 in 5 minutes).

I don't think you're unlucky - I think you are lucky to catch it before it caused a crash.

Andy
Old 05-23-2018, 12:08 PM
paulflys4fun

Hi, I was at the field on my own this evening. Had one flight with my tx and then two with a friends DX9 The A: and B: on his was 14 and 9 respectively the F: was 0. Cannot remember the second flight, but similar. Mine was F:126 on the first flight with my Tx. I was using a foam wot 4 tonight. The ar6600t was inside the model, the satellite was on double sided tape and on the outside of the plane right at the bottom of the side fuselage.

Regards

Paul
Old 05-23-2018, 12:11 PM
AndyKunz

Yup, that certainly sounds like your transmitter needs to go back.

Andy