JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Charging dx8 1 gen correctly

Old 09-10-2018, 09:04 PM
aerocub

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Charging dx8 1 gen correctly

Donít ask me how, but I lost my original wallwart for my dx8. I looked on Rcuniverse and found out that it takes a 12 volt 200 milliamperes wallwart to charge the battery up. I have a lipo battery in the transmitter. I havenít flown in a couple years and just got the bug again. I found a 12 volt 600 milliamperes wallwart and after digging through my elctrical junk, I found a plug that would work in the transmitter, I ensured that the polarity was correct (center tip positive although it appears you can reverse polarity with no damage) and plugged the charger in the electrical socket and the plug into the transmitter. The light came on and I couldnít smell smoke. The trans itter started out at 7.9 volts. After 20 minutes, ichecked the voltage and it was up to 8 volts. After another 30 minutes of charging, it hadnít changed voltage. Later,I charged it for another couple of haours and it went to 8.1 ,volts. My question is, does it take a long time to charge the transmitter battery to 8.3 or 8.4 volts? 2 hours almost seem excessive. Thanks
Old 09-11-2018, 04:25 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not sure if they have the same charging circuit as the 18s where the charger is in the radio and the wall wart is just a power supply but it takes several hours to fully charge.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:45 AM
aerocub

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you. Yep, you're correct, it is just a power supply. I was nervous about charging it with a different wall war. I'll put it on charge again this morning.
Thanks again,
Carroll
Old 09-11-2018, 08:17 PM
aerocub

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The charging light finally went out. I was getting nervous about fully charging the transmitter! It’s at 8.3 volts.