Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Rudder - Nose Wheel Mix

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 05:07 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rudder - Nose Wheel Mix

I have a DX8 (Gen 1) and am making my first foray into programming a mix. I am completing a Top Flite Cessna 182 ARF and changed the wire nose gear to a Sierra gear for realism. In addition, I moved the rudder servo to the tail so that the control rod is much shorter to reduce any rudder flutter with a long (30+ inch) control rod. I have two Hitec 645 mg servos installed, so that I can program the nose gear to turn more than the rudder.
So far, I have been successful in mechanically increasing the nose wheel throw to have more movement in the nose as compared to the rudder, but I don't know how to increase the servo throw on the nose gear without doing the same with the rudder. And then there are dual rates that I want to work on the rudder, but ignore the nose wheel.

Here is my current set up:
In Switch Select: MIX is assigned to AUX 1
For MIXING: RUD>AUX1
Rate: 100%
125%
Offset: 100%
Trim: INH
SW: On

Both the rudder and nose wheel move the correct direction, but the adjustments are what are giving me the problem.
1. The nose wheel needs to move more when the Dual Rate is set on the 0 position for the land portion. I am not sure how to get more servo throw without affecting the rudder travel.
2. When I switch to 1 in dual rates, the rudder operates with a little more throw, but the nose wheel servo moves to a maximum end point and will not travel.
3. Same when I go to dual rates for 2.

There is plenty of throw in the nose wheel servo, I just can't figure how to change the programming to make it move more left and right. The rest is still need of total programming for Dual Rates. I don't have to worry too much about the nose wheel moving on Rates 1 and 2 since the gear does not retract, but would like to know how to keep it from moving. Since I land and take off with Dual Rates at 0 the movement for nose wheel is needed, but for Rates 1 and 2, only the rudder needs the increased throw.

I have searched the internet up and down and find plenty of mixing threads, but just not one for the DX8 and for this particular issue. It may be there, just haven't found it.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:20 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Start with taking the mix out. Go back to the primary screen to “match” up dual ailerons and dual elevators. There should be a rudder to make dual rudders. One rudder is #1 and Nose wheel is #2. Now you have complete control of both servos as independent channels.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:24 AM
hookedonrc

Thanks Dan, never thought to do it that way. Will post my results.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:33 AM
RCFlyerDan

You will probably have to start over with a new plane. Due to model match, you normally can’t change primary flight controls.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:56 AM
hookedonrc

So far I was able to change the rudder type to dual rudders providing a two servo set up. This after removing the mix programming. Now to check it with the plane. Luckily, I am at the beginning of the set up process. Now to check other channels to see if my other set ups remain. The only other programming was the throttle, which is an easy setup.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:59 AM
RCFlyerDan

Cool beans! I didn’t know if you could change primary flight control once bound. Best wishes for the maiden!

Pass this trick on to others!
Old 04-28-2019, 10:25 AM
hookedonrc

Got it working, but had to use a "Y" harness. I think that is what you meant. Now I just need to work in the dual rates to keep the nose wheel from increasing throw when I move rudder to higher rates. Although.being a Cessna 182, how many aerobatic moves will I be doing anyway? I am building it for scale competition.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:40 AM
RCFlyerDan

No “Y”! If you are using a Y and one channel for the rudder, then the servo matchup with dual rudders was pointless. Because with the Y, you didn’t set up independent servo channels. Did you turn the switches off to the extra rudder channel off? Otherwise it can’t be used. You should have 1-throttle, 2-elevator, 2-ailerons, and 2-rudders for 7 channels total. Are you using Y for independent ailerons and elevator? Typing this out, I forgot about flaps on two channels. So, you need, or would be nice to have 9 channels. Something or all need to be a Y. Put the elevators and/ or the ailerons on a Y. They don’t need adjusted once set up. This way you have independent adjustments for the nose gear steering, which might need adjustments more often.

PS- You could buy a smart-fly for a distribution bus, or match boxes.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 04-28-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:47 AM
RCFlyerDan

Power expander are nice because they have servo matching, end points and the ability to connect 2-4 servos per channel. Smart-Fly also had match box for less, if you only want to do two channels. Just options.

https://www.smart-fly.com/powerexpanders

Old 04-28-2019, 01:29 PM
hookedonrc

Funny, I was just getting back on to say the Y was not the thing to do. I do have a Y on either the one of the wing functions. Just going from memory, I am pretty sure it's the aelerons because of the recessed flaps on the 182. I may have to reprogram from the beginning. When I shut off the mix, I put a INH on the switch. Which shut down my Aux1..... Not a big deal if I was using the Spektum 8 channel receiver. My bad, I am using a Spektrum 6 channel for bench set up and preliminary testing. If you inhibit Aux1 like I did, there is no Aux2 or 3.....big DUH.

Once I readjust the Aux1 and make it active, I can assign the rudder to it. Reason for the 6 channel receiver is just so I don't handle or accidentally damage the 8 channel before putting in the plane.

Last edited by hookedonrc; 04-29-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:07 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Dan

I use a P-mix for nose steering and use the switch that controls the gear to control the mix, that way nose wheel steering is only enabled with the gear down and centered with it up and not banging around the wheel well when retracted. It also gives you independent expo on the nose wheel.

Just my .02, there's always multiple ways to do things.

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 04-29-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:20 AM
RCFlyerDan

I respect that! Thank you! We figured out yesterday that he doesn’t have enough channels for independent servos. He needs 9 channels to have everything independent. He only has 8. I don’t think that it is a C182RG? Just fixed gear C-182, but still could be turned off in the air.
So, yes, if you have a way to accomplish it, I can learn too.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Oh duh! I just assumed retracts without reading all the details
Old 04-29-2019, 07:24 AM
RCFlyerDan

You have to read(skim) a lot everyday. And, as an extra way for extra channels, matching the servos up in the initial set up where elevators and ailerons are matched up, to me is easier than a mix. It sets up an independent channel for the servo. Otherwise, there may not be channels available. On my Lightning, I’ve activated a speed brake channel and used that channel for a gear door.
Always more than one way...........most of the time.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 04-29-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:12 AM
hookedonrc

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
I respect that! Thank you! We figured out yesterday that he doesn’t have enough channels for independent servos. He needs 9 channels to have everything independent. He only has 8. I don’t think that it is a C182RG? Just fixed gear C-182, but still could be turned off in the air.
So, yes, if you have a way to accomplish it, I can learn too.
I am thinking that I am ok for the channel count. I will be using the 8 channel Spektrum receiver and am using a Y connector on the Ailerons. This should free up a channel for the rest of the needs. I will hook up the landing lights to the gear switch for on/off ability. Then the nav lights will be on all the time and will use one of the 3 AIUX channels. I may be short, but I think I am ok on the channel count.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:24 AM
RCFlyerDan

You’ll be fine. Put the elevators on a Y will help free up a channel,unless only one elevator. Flaps are easier to trim in flight if on separate channels, but they too can go on a Y. Best wishes for the maiden!