Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

10X battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 08:14 AM
SVFlier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10X battery

Danny, I am puzzled. I blew the fuse in the battery of my new 10X, apparently by plugging it into my Sirius Charger with too much residual charge on the battery. You advised that I needed to send the battery in to have the soldered-on fuse replaced. I ordered out another battery so I could use the radio while the first battery is being "re-fused".

The new battery showed very low voltage on my Litco charger, so I give it the initial charge on my Sirius Charger. It now shows voltage in the 10X, but reads open circuit when I plug it into anything: Sirius Battery Tester, Litco voltmeter or C10 charger, Sirius Field Fast Charger, JR Charger.

What have I done? I would like to avoid killing $75 batteries! Thanks, Burt
Old 10-02-2003, 01:42 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 10X battery

It does sound like the fuse is now gone in that pack as well. I would suspect that there is either a reverse polarity or a high initial current occuring when you plug the sirius charger into the pack.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:00 PM
SVFlier

Does the fuse protect only the pack, but allow the battery to supply the transmitter? With the first pack, neither a charger or the transmitter show any action.

I guess that I had better start playing safe, and do C10 charging only with my JR charger, or the Litco, reserving my Sirius charger for field conditions with low voltage readings.

Thanks, Danny
Old 10-02-2003, 04:53 PM
dsnyder

That is correct, the fuse in the battery pack protects the pack alone, but does not protect the power to the TX. I must have misunderstood with the first pack, I apologize for that. Perhaps it has another issue. It may have further damage than simply the fuse.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:20 PM
SVFlier

Thanks, Danny, I think we are beginning to understand. I have already sent the first pack in (Priority Mail today), so we will just have to wait and see what the techs find.

I am surprised though, that an 1100 mAh transmitter pack requires charging at only 50 mAh; that's 22 hours to a full charge! I would have expected C10, at 110 mAh charge rate, for about 10 hours. My Litco Alpha 4 will charge at 1000mA max, dependent on battery capacity, and will put out 110 mAh for a C10 charge rate on an 1100 mAh pack. The Sirius Pro chargers will output at 1000 mAh, max, on the transmitter side, and provide 50 mAh in maintenance mode.

Has JR delibertly fused these packs so that charges rates cannot be allowed to exceed 50 mAh?
Old 10-03-2003, 08:53 AM
dsnyder

No, I have charged my packs in the past at up to 1 amp, though I generally use the wall charger most of the time. The charger that comes with the 10X system though is part number JRPC222 and on the transmitter side charges at 65 Mah. It is not quite C/10, but I have not found it to be a problem.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:30 AM
SVFlier

Okay, thanks, Danny. I didn't mean to hassle, but I have been surprised by the different battery configuration. I guess it has its merits. Anyway, it does seem to be sensitive to voltage spikes if the residual charge is still high, so I will have to change my charging practices a bit for the 10X. Love the radio! Thanks again, Burt