Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Channel change - was this to much?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 10:28 AM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Channel change - was this to much?

I am unsure at the moment about the model number of the system but it has to be a JR6xx or 4xx I believe.

My flying buddy recently crashed his plane. I wasn't there at the time. According to him, the plane responded correctly on the ground. They took off and almost immediately lost control. The plane got further and further away, looped back, then turned 90°, flew some more and crashed a fair distance away.

My friend told me that he had changed the channel crystals from 40 to 21 in both the receiver and transmitter before this happened. The LHS told him that it would be OK to do this. Personally, I think this was to large a change in frequency to have not had the transmitter and receiver aligned. I also believe that the crystal on the back of the transmitter is glued in, as in my 631.

So question is (besides just something failing or the crystal in the receiver not being seated properly) could this large a change in channels result in control on the ground but lose of control distance once in the air? We can't check the receiver as the portion of the plane with the electronics in it was never recovered. My friend also said that a range check on the ground appeared normal. So thoughts??
Old 10-24-2003, 09:10 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Channel change - was this to much?

While it is against FCC regulations to change the crystal in a transmitter except when performed by an authorized service center, it is doubtful that changing the crysal caused your friends problem. It is possible, but not likely. It is possible that it would cause a reduction in range, but it is also possible that the range would have been unaffected.