Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Servo Case Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 11:42 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Case Replacement

Here's another servo question Danny.
I have a 4721 in which the main case was cracked right at one of the corners... probably from the screw being turned a little tight. It probably would have been fine to leave it but I wanted to replace it just the same.

So I bought the replacement case, but soon realized that the pot and motor in the servo were REALLY in there. I ended up having to literally cut the old case away from the electronic innards to get them out. As you might imagine, it was a little scary going for a while.

I reinstalled the parts in the new case, securing them in (like the original was) using a small dab of E6000 so that the pot nor motor could move in the case in use.

My simple question is: Is there a proposed "method" that would make it easier to replace a 4721 servo case?

Thanks,
Highflight
Old 12-22-2003, 01:56 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servo Case Replacement

We use contact cement to mount the motor and pot back in. The pot needs to be centered excatly like it was originally or the throws of the servo will be off. To remove the pot and motor you can either use a heat gun to soften the glue or my favorite is method is MEK which softens the glue. Our service center also has a machined tool that helps in removing the motor, it has two pins that push down through the holes in the top of the case center.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:44 PM
rcrcb25
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Danny & Highflight-RCU,

I recently ran across this post about replacing servo cases and was wondering what the name brand of the contact cement that JR/Horizon uses when they re-install motors or pots into the cases. I am rebuilding some JR2721 servos I have and was curious to know. Highflight-RCU how well did the E6000 stuff you used work? Have you had any issues?

Thanks
Andrew
Old 01-14-2005, 02:32 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They used to use contact cement from Devcon but we no longer have it available, so they now use UGL from Ace Hardware.