Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

XP662 error 5 question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 01:42 PM
lparks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP662 error 5 question

Danny,

Each year at Christmas time I travel from my home in Alaska to my brother's place in California for a couple of solid weeks of flying. Last year, while here, I bought a XP662. It worked flawlessly.

I took it home to Alaska with me in its original packaging, that in a plastic tub. It was well protected, yet when I switched it on at home it came up with Error 5. I turned it off and on again with no error. Experimentation proved that the error condition displayed only if I left it off for say, five minutes or more. The main battery was fully charged.

I sent you an inquiry, to which you responded the back up battery had been drained, and I needed to send it in for repair. Of course, I never did, thinking I could have it done back here in California.

Last week while packing for the trip I switched it on and got the Error 5 message. When I unpacked it here in California it did not power up at all, though the voltage level was reasonable before I left. Since I had not had it on a charger in several months, I assumed the main battery had completely drained.

After charging, it would still not power up. I disconnected the battery and removed the back cover to look for obvious signs of damage; there were none. I also looked for the back up battery, as no shop here was willing to make that repair; I decided it best to send it in. I put the back cover back on having done nothing more than look inside.

Now that you have this history, here comes the question: Several days later when I was ready to pack it up I switched it on just for kicks. It powered up with Error 5. I turned it off and on, and it powered up normally. Days have passed, and it still powers up normally. Even after over 24 hours switched off I get no error conditions. Could it be that by disconnecting the main battery I have reset some condition that was causing the error? I hate to send it in for nothing...

Les

By the way, I have more radios, so I am not missing any flying time on account of this...
Old 12-30-2003, 02:04 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: XP662 error 5 question

The problem with the system is that the lithium memory back up battery is drained. It needs to be replaced. In the memory power circuitry there is a capacitor that stores a small amount of charge, and by turning it on periodically before the capacitor is drained, your memory is still there, however any extended time with the system turned off, the capacitor will drain and you will get the error message again. The system will need to be sent in to have the lithium battery replaced, and the system reset.