Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR falling behind Futuba...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 11:00 PM
JustABigKid
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR falling behind Futuba...

[]
I've been a loyal JR user for over 20 years, but for the first time I'm considering switching to (yeech...) Futuba or Hitec, because they offer a frequency synthsized transmitter. In my area (LA), it's a real advantage to be able to check out the frequency board, see what's open, and change to an unused frequency. Just having to buy a bunch of receiver crystals is cheaper and easier than having to also buy and deal with a bunch of transmitter modules...

Also, I want to upgrade to an 8+ channel JR transmitter, but I've been waiting for the 9x (the 8103 is kinda dated, and the 10x is too expensive for me). From what I've heard about the 9x, it would be perfect. But it seems like it will never arrive here in the US.

So, I hope that JR and Horizon realize that the slow pace of JR development has an effect on it's customers...
Old 01-29-2004, 10:23 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JR falling behind Futuba...

I would have to disagree with JR falling behind Futaba. JR has had some very big releases recently that surpassed Futaba for specs and features (the 8611 servo, 6102 radio, and other products). The 9 channel is coming, it should be available sometime in spring/early summer. I don't have any information on when more synthesized products will be available but I'm sure they are coming. Futaba right now has 1 system that is synthesized, the 9Z. JR also has a synthesized system, the XS3, with more to come. Stay tuned!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:06 PM
Mac_Man_UK

JR exhibited a synthesized NET module not so very long ago in Japan. As it takes a finite time for them to go from a pre-production model to a "live" product, anticipate it being available in the not too distant future.

[8D]
Old 02-15-2004, 07:43 PM
spud8939
My Feedback: (4)

NO WAY!!!! I have been using JR for 20+ years now and have NEVER had a failure--how many others can say that? Frequency synthesizers are a technology not to be taken lightly. I am an ex electronics engineer, since retired. The issue is that some level of temperature induced drift ALWAYS occurs. If you use a synthesized transmitter and a crystal controlled receiver,
keeping the temperature induced drift together , and in the same direction, can be interesting to say the least. I understand your issue, but I would urge extreme caution, you need only to do a bit of calculation on the frequency separations we use, and the 3db points down each side of the center frequencies to see the exposure with very slight off freq operation. This is why there are 3 dots on the crystal showing center and each side of the cut freq. (Danny, feel free to chip in)
Hope this helps, stay with JR, you are safer that way, at least in my opinion,
Sam
Old 02-15-2004, 11:05 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Futaba matched the 8611 pretty good though with the 9152 you must say
Old 02-16-2004, 01:02 AM
Peter Khor

ORIGINAL: KenCClark
offer a frequency synthsized transmitter. In my area (LA), it's a real advantage to be able to check out the frequency board, see

Also, I want to upgrade to an 8+ channel JR transmitter, but I've been waiting for the 9x (the 8103 is kinda dated, and the 10x is too
Well hopefully the wait won't be too long Pictures are from Oct 2003 hobby show; prices are in Yen (LIST) you can plug in the numbers to a currency exchange website to give you an idea ...

I'm sure there's some convoluted agreement, but imo you want JR to 'blow the rest of the FarEast radios out of the water' (so to speak)? Horizon/JR should bring in the Graupner/JR line of radios!! (MC-24, 22, etc)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59019.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	101529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67971.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	101530  
Old 02-16-2004, 03:48 PM
spud8939

Peter,
the info /pictures you show are VERY interesting. Notice that on the receiver that they, (JR), use synthesizers in both the trans and the receiver. This answers most of the things I mention in my "no Way" message. I don't know what Futaba has from what the guy said---