Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Constructive criticism... XP8103

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Juice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constructive criticism... XP8103

I just bought the 8103. I finished the initial charge of the TX battery this morning. Before going to work, I only had a chance to play with the menus and program in some model names. My initial impression with the menu system and navigation is that it is counter-intuitive.

For example... In the System Setup menu the DN button moves the pointer up and the UP button moves the pointer down.

Another example... The positive and negative signs on the L/+ and R/- button seem backwards. Normally, people think "more positive" is towards the right and "more negative" is towards the left, like the X-axis of a graph. I already found this awkward when entering in model names. I kept wanting to press the R/- button to go forward into the alphabet, "ABCDE...". But instead it goes backwards, "...zyxwv". This is exactly what the button says it will do, but it is still counter-intuitive. I actually have to consciously think about which button to press, instead of instinctively pressing the right button.

I haven't even started programming my airplanes yet. Do other users think like this also?

Anyways, the purpose of this message is purely for constructive criticism from one end user. I bought this TX for it's advanced functions, which is what really matters. The backwards menu and navigation is only a small nuisance.

Juice
Old 02-23-2004, 03:25 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Constructive criticism... XP8103

Thanks for the feedback! We appreciate any and all feedback and we will always take it into consideration for future models.

While the up/dn does seem back wards in the system mode, in the flow chart it is correct, as that is the correct direction to go up and down in the menu, but shows up back wards on the display the way it is presented.

On the R/- and the L/+ functions, when you get to the numbers, you can see that + increases the number while the - key decreases it, but I do see your point when it comes to the letters.

I will pass the feedback on. Thanks for your time!
Old 02-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Are you sure that the antenna thingy isn't pointing toward your feet when your make those adjustments?
Point it up and see what happens.

Highflight

ORIGINAL: Juice

I just bought the 8103. I finished the initial charge of the TX battery this morning. Before going to work, I only had a chance to play with the menus and program in some model names. My initial impression with the menu system and navigation is that it is counter-intuitive.

For example... In the System Setup menu the DN button moves the pointer up and the UP button moves the pointer down.

Another example... The positive and negative signs on the L/+ and R/- button seem backwards. Normally, people think "more positive" is towards the right and "more negative" is towards the left, like the X-axis of a graph. I already found this awkward when entering in model names. I kept wanting to press the R/- button to go forward into the alphabet, "ABCDE...". But instead it goes backwards, "...zyxwv". This is exactly what the button says it will do, but it is still counter-intuitive. I actually have to consciously think about which button to press, instead of instinctively pressing the right button.

I haven't even started programming my airplanes yet. Do other users think like this also?

Anyways, the purpose of this message is purely for constructive criticism from one end user. I bought this TX for it's advanced functions, which is what really matters. The backwards menu and navigation is only a small nuisance.

Juice
Old 02-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Juice

Well, I programmed it for my Super Sportster 40 with duel aileron servos.

I was able to use the AUX2 knob to control the amount of aileron up deflection for spoilerons. The spoilerons are activated by flipping the Flap/Mixing Switch up. I also used the Flap knob to control the amount of aileron down deflection for flapperons. The flapperons are activated by flipping the Flap/Mixing Switch down. And when the Flap/Mixing Switch is in the centre position the ailerons act like normal ailerons. I did it this way so I can preset the amount of spoilerons and flapperons before each test flight. I just have to flip the Flap/Mixing Switch to activate whatever I want, and I can do it without having to look at knob settings. Flapperons and spoilerons are things I've always wanted to experiment with, but I could never figure out how to do it with my old XP631 (if it was possible at all).

I still think the UP, DN, L/+ and R/- button are counter-intuitive, but it doesn't matter as long as the feature are there. I just wanted to reply back to say that I'm very impressed with this transmitter!

Juice.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:42 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will definitely pass on your feedback. Thanks for your message!
Old 02-25-2004, 06:33 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Yep, things do seem to be backwards.
BUT
It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to use.