Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR Servo Installation Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 11:41 AM
Crazy Legs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JR Servo Installation Questions?

I just purchased my first JR servos and noticed that they don't come with any installation instructions. Most servo installations are straight forward, but one thing that deviates from manufacturer to manufacturer is the hardware they include for servo mounting. For instance, Kraft servos came with little fiber washers that were to be installed under each mounting screw, and the direction was to tighten the screw until the bottom of the screw just touched the fiber washer. Then tighten the screw 1/2 turn more.
With these JR servos, they came with eyelets, and they can be installed shoulder side up or down. Although it might not matter much, I thought I would ask what the recommended mounting method was. Should the eyelets be inserted from the top of the servo grommet (shoulder side up) or the bottom (shoulder side down). Also, how tight does JR recommend torquing the screws down?
The other question I had was in regard to the installation of servo wire extensions in a wing. Should the connections that are floating around in the wing be protected in any way. To keep the connectors from coming apart, I wrapped mine in dental floss, inserting the floss in between the wires on one of the connectors and around to the other side through the gaps in those wires. Afterward I "zapped" the knot I made to secure the floss to the connector. I've seen instructions suggesting using tape, but in Florida, tape just doesn't seem to stay put for very long in the hot sun. Please let me know if you recommend anything else.
Thanks for being a part of this web site!
Please reply,
Mike D'Amico
Palm Bay, Florida
Old 02-28-2004, 12:24 PM
PeteJoMan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JR Servo Installation Questions?

Mike,The eyelets get pushed up from the bottom so the "flanged end" is toward the wood. The screws are harder than the wood and this prevents the sharp end from digging in and losing all the resiliency of the rubber grommets when you tighten the screws.Your method of securing the servo leads is fine, been doing that for five years.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:30 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shoulder of the eyelet is always against the balsa. The other way around cuts into the balsa and does not provide
any crush protection of the rubber grommet. Don't overtighten and crush the rubber. If you do you have lost any vibration
dampening it could have provided. I alway predrill the servo mounting holes and then dribble in some CA to harden them.

I have also used dental floss to tie connectors together. Usually now I use a small plastic wire tie or heat shrink tubing.

John
Old 02-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Mac_Man_UK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you take a quick look at this page...... http://www.macgregor.co.uk/radio/mount.htm it helps to explain about servo mounting.

[8D]