JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR PCM 10X gimbal springs

Old 03-29-2004, 02:49 AM
MaxMotoring

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR PCM 10X gimbal springs

Danny,
I recently changed the gimbal springs to a heavier duty spring with more tension.All was fine for a few flying sessions but today on my last flight I noticed the elevator control was binding with back stick.I removed the back of the Tx & observed that on the elevator control the pivot arm to which the spring is attached flexes ( due no doubt to the spring tension) in a manner which with forward stick it moves away from the side of the gimbal but with back stick the movement is opposite which causes the spring to touch the side of the gimbal & hence bind.
My conern is that as this has occurred after some little use the pivot arm may have been damaged due to the flexing although nothing is apparent on visual inspection.Are you able to advise whether that is a possibilty & if it would be prudent to have that part replaced & revert to the original factory springs.

Thanks,

Peter Larsen
Old 03-29-2004, 03:30 PM
dsnyder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: JR PCM 10X gimbal springs

It does sound like your springs are putting too much tension if is is flexing the arm. I would recommend contacting O'Reilly at 61-8-8351-0544 for more information on what springs you could use if you would like more tension than stock.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:09 PM
MaxMotoring

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: JR PCM 10X gimbal springs

Danny, thanks for your response.
For those that have taken an interest in this I reinstalled the original springs only to find back stick still making a scraping noise altough the spring did not now touch the side as before.I had a closer look at the gimbal assemblies & noticed two small steel pins, facing outward on each assembly.On the elevator/aileron gimbal the lower pin protruded more & was scraping on a metal plate over the pot.
With some needle nose pliers I pushed it back in so that it was level with the other pin & looked the same as the other assembly.Thes pins must support the pivot arm as after reinstalling the Radio South springs all was ok (the arm no longer flexed & the spring then did not touch the side ) although only time will tell how long this will be the case.
As an aside I think the gimbal assembly on a high end radio such as this ( & I'm assuming the 9WC2 is probably the same ) should be of a much higher quality.Surely with CNC machines having them made out of some form of metal wouldn't be too difficult.I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the gimbal assemblies on a 10X to be of a higher quality than those on a lesser model in that manufacturers range.