Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR 537 Std Servos with 6 volt battery question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 10:31 AM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 537 Std Servos with 6 volt battery question.

Hi Danny - I have a question. I have my LT-40 with JR 537 standard servos and the original 4.6 volt battery that came with the flight pack. This makes the battery two summers old. I happen to have a brand new 1100 Mah 6.0 volt setting on the shelf.

Can I use the 6 volt battery on these servos or will I just tear the threads off the gears?

I have a JR radio I can program the expo down so it slows the servo down a little due to the higher voltage.

What do you all think, just buy a new 4.6 or go ahead and use the 6?

Weight is not an issue. As a matter of fact I have a little bit of lead in the tail now I might be able to take off with the added weight of the 6 volt up front to off set it.

Thanks for any help
Old 04-15-2004, 11:34 AM
rik756
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: JR 537 Std Servos with 6 volt battery question.

I don't know half of what Danny does, but I *think* he'll say something similar.

I have standard 537's on a Stinger .60 with a 6V 1100MAH battery and they do fine. The only problem I have had is that when the battery is fully charged, a few of the servos will get the jitters until the charge drops a little bit. I changed out three different recievers before I figured out it was just the 6v battery doing it lol. You can use a voltage regulator for about $20 to stop that, but I never have. I can't prove it, but I think I did strip a servo once from the jitters, but not from flying....

After that initial jitter charge wears off I don't have any problems with them at all and the 6v increases torque and speed a little. Just my .02

Rick
Old 04-15-2004, 11:47 AM
GPutt33

Thanks for info Rick, that's what I was looking for and hoping to hear. I have a note to Danny, but haven't heard from him yet.

Will probably swap out batteries tonight and do a new CG on the plane so it's ready for this weekend to knock the rust off of the thumbs from this long winters no fly weather

Thanks
Gregg
Old 04-15-2004, 01:27 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 6 volt pack will work fine, on a fresh charge it may cause some slight jittering, but should cause no serious issues.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:14 PM
GPutt33

Thanks Danny - pretty much what Rick said, so with that the old battery comes out the new 6 volt goes in.

Gregg
Old 04-15-2004, 06:00 PM
rik756

Good Luck and Happy Flying!

Rick
Old 04-16-2004, 07:05 AM
GPutt33

Hi Guys - Well I swapped the battereries out last night and did a new CG on the plane It was about this time I kind of remembered saying something in my RCU post about "not worrying about the extra weight in the nose because I had some lead on the tail I could TAKE OFF if I needed"[X(]

No wonder you guys said Good Luck. That was a little backwards [X(]

Needless to say I left the lead as is, but was actually able to move the battery back a little even though the new battery is 1/2 again the size of the little 600 x 4.6V one I took out. I guess I've had it a little more nose heavy then I should have for some reason. Will have to do a little trim tomorrow to compensate for basically the new CG. The nose is now just slightly lower then the table on the CG machine.

Happy Flying

Gregg
Old 04-16-2004, 09:14 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have fun with your plane! Let us know if you have any further questions.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:03 PM
rik756

Unless for reasons you haven't mentioned, you might consider just moving your battery aft for balance. I have or have had 15 different planes at one time or other and have never added any dead weight to any of them (yet). At most, I might have added some additional strength or epoxy to make up a little weight that I might not have used otherwise.

I know in some cases there is no other option, but as of yet, I have always used the onboard equipment moved around to get balance. In the pic I attached, you can see where I placed the RX, the 3 servos and then put the battery in the rear to get the balance. It's not the greatest pic, but it was all I could find of a plane at that angle and in that stage of building... I guess it should be considered a Top View though it's a side pic. (it's a Stinger .60) The servos are pretty much where they had to be, but the battery was supposed to be next to or under the RX. In this case I used a servo extention and put it almost 8 inches from the RX. Your case might be different, I just hate to add dead weight. Just a thought, but always something to consider.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86725.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	122983