Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

ds811 and gws jitters

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 08:01 AM
LShaver
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds811 and gws jitters

Hello Dannny, I got a new 8103 last year with 811 servos...works perfect

Problem is while test flying it in a radio rat last year I also switched out the 811,s and used new Gws servos to make sure everything worked without a problem...and it did...perfect. Now I am settting up my UCD3D 60 with 2 811's on elevator (on a Y) and tried a GWS on the rudder with bad results; every time I plug in an extension to the GWS the rudder goes crazy ( moves by itself and jitters) if I unplug the extension and plug the same servo into the rudder channel it works fine...I've switched out extensions and tried 4 differant GWS servos with the same results, the only cure was to use a 811 on the rudder...my question is this a problem with 811's and analog servos or is there a fix ( choke,filter,buffer,etc) ? I plan on using this mix in my larger scale planes if I you have a cure. P.S. I got the same results with 4.8 and 6.0 volts

TIA Doc
Old 04-04-2004, 05:15 PM
c016Y

Default RE: ds811 and gws jitters

same problem here. Curious if anybody ever figured this out. DS811's on UCD .60 rudder is horrible.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:12 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any information on the GWS equipment, you would need to contact them for that. If the 811 does that however, it can be a number of things. It could be a bad extension, slop in the linkages or control horns, servo arm fit on the servo, servo mounted too rigidly (servo screws too tight, servo eyelets installed in the incorrect direction, servo mounting rails too tight against the servo), a dirty connection between the servo and the receiver, too high of voltage, a bad battery, switch, loose hinges, hinges that are too stiff and don't allow easy movement, any binding, etc. The 811 also is a single ball bearing servo, which means there is a small amount of play possible in the output gear, and with the centering power of the 811 it can cause some small jittering. If you can lightly touch the control surface when this is happening and it stops, it will not happen in the air due to the air loads on the surface, so it is fine to fly. If it doesn't stop, the pot may be worn in the servo.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:24 PM
c016Y

It is totally caused by the play in the output gear. When I increase the throw it gets worse. When I add subtrim it goes away. It is the play in the center and it throwing it back and forth that causes the problem. Is there a digital servo that does not have play in the output gear? ie.. What kind of servos do not have this play (what to look for)? examples? Thanks for your help.

I have seen many people with this exact problem on this control surface on this plane. I think it is just not the right servo for the job. Works great on all the other control surfaces. I think this is a problem though. I have noticed the problem gets worse with time if you let it run like that. I think it is wearing it out when I fly it that way.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:30 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't a problem to fly it if it stops when you lightly touch the surface. Servos that do not have the play in the output gear are dual bearing servos, which are higher end servos, such as the 8101, 8231, 8411, 8611, etc.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:15 PM
LShaver
My Feedback: (2)

OK ...I found the problem...had to use a h/d ext (20) on the GWS and all jitters and such went away at 4.8 and 6.0 volts...I'm not flaming GWS servos cause they worked like a champ in the radio rat and the price is great ....I guess to have piece of mind it cost ya so I put in a 8101 on the rudder...thanks for the feedback guys Doc