Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

10x learning/setup with Tx off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Timbo562

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10x learning/setup with Tx off?

Hi, I just upgraded from a 662 (great radio btw) to a 10x (airplane). I've got half a dozen or so planes to setup in the new radio (and the learning curve to get past) and am wondering if it's possible to operate the 10x without the transmitter being active. Can I just use code78 and set the radio up as a slave or will that change the way the radio functions (how about just removing the back module)? If I can do this do I need to switch the radio off and plug in a trainer cable? If it isn't possible to learn/program the radio without the Tx operating is it ok to operate it with the antenna removed/collapsed without hurting the radio?

Also, I do have a heli that I fly once a week or so and would love to use my 10x with it. I know JR makes a 10x with firmware thats specifically for heli's but am I correct in thinking that I could still create the mixes necessary to fly my heli with a little work on my part? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tim HUtchinson
Old 04-15-2004, 01:31 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 10x learning/setup with Tx off?

Your options to not transmit and program the radio would be to remove the module in the back of the TX, or leave the switch off, and plug in the dsc or trainer cord. Leaving the antenna out and the system on for some time while transmitting, will cause the module to heat up, and over time lose its tuning and output. It is best when setting up models, to install the antenna, and extend the antenna a section or 2 to eliminate heat build up in the module.

The 10X air system doesn't have any heli programming built in, while it may be possible to set up some basic helis, even that can be difficult depending on the needs of the heli.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Timbo562

Thanks Danny, it sounds like the safest/easiest thing to do is to just remove the module from the back of the transmitter while learning to use the radio. Just out of curiosity, is there actually some sort of switch invloved that disables the transmitter with the module removed or does it sense the lack of a crystal and de-activate the transmitter?

Regards,
Tim Hutchinson
Old 04-15-2004, 05:20 PM
tadawson

????

The module IS the transmitter!!!

- Tim
Old 04-16-2004, 09:06 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The module contains the entire RF circuitry of the system, without the module there isn't an RF system in the TX, and it will then not transmit anything.