Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

6102 battery care

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 03:05 PM
dershark3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6102 battery care

I bought a new 6102.
I haven't used it yet.
I want to do several things with the Tx battery ( 600Ma ).

1) Before using the Tx, I want to condition/form the Tx battery with a 200Ma discharge to 1.1V per cell followed by a C10 overnight charge rate.
I would repeat this pre use conditioning procedure 3 times to ensure reliability and capacity.

2) I also want to be able to monitor the battery capacity with a capacity tester a few times a year so I know when to ditch the battery and get a new one.

3) After a days flying is over I might have a Tx battery with 1/4 or 1/2 capacity still left in it.
I will want to discharge this NiCD battery to 1.1V per cell before recharging for a new flying day. This avoids any memory effects ( mythical or not - why take chances?)

Since my Tx has a diode in the charge circuit , I can not do any of these things while the battery is in the Tx.

Which do you recommend to solve the problems?.........

1) Jump the diode?
This would leave the exposed Tx charge jack as a potential to short the battery should something metal accidentaly touch that area!!
I could make a cover cap for the charge jack to prevent an accidental short.
Is this the reason for the diode?
Or does it simply protect the battery/Tx and charger from a wrong polarity charge attempt?
If this is true then I guess the diode is the lesser of two evils.

2) Don't jump the diode? - just remove the battery from the Tx for any discharging procedure. In this case there is a rather odd connector on the battery leads. This is OK for checking with an expanded scale voltmeter because I can just touch the leads to the pins in the connector to get a reading - But, in order to do a capacity test or a conditioning/forming procedure I would need a matching connector ( female I think ) to connect the battery to my capacity tester or cycler.
Is such a female connector available?
I suppose I could splice a regular servo connector into the battery leads for any "out of Tx discharging procedures" and just leave it on there since it should fit hanging loose when back in the battery compartment.

Anyway you slice it - it seems that care and capacity monitoring of the Tx battery is a problem. []

Also - I got a JR wall charger with the 6102 that charges the supplied 1100Mah Rx battery at 150Ma. I understand that 110Ma would be the correct C10 overnite charge.
A 150Ma charge might damage the battery if accidentally left on too long. What's up with this?

I am very pleased with the radio overall. Excellent product.
But there are issues with the diode, battery connector and charger that I need to address.

I suppose the best solution from JR's point of view would be to make available a pigtail with the matching ( female ) battery connector available.
Jumping the diode would seem to be the best solution from my point of view as long as correct charging polarity is always observed.
Either way there seems to be no resources to acomplish either solution.
I am experienced soldering.
Can you supply a picture showing the location of the two diode contact points or a way to get a pigtail with correct female battery connector for a 6102?

One last question - how long can you leave the Tx turned on with the antenna fully down before risking damge to the RF output curcuits.

Thanks for help Dany!
Old 03-05-2004, 03:27 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 6102 battery care

If you send in the system we will jump the diode for you at no charge. The diode was not supposed to be in the US system, future systems will not have the diode. Jumping the diode yourself would void your warranty and causes liability issues, and I do not recommend doing so.

You simply need to calculate the time of charge, and unplug when it is charged.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:34 PM
dershark3

Actually the diode supplies some very good safety features that I'm not so anxious to loose.
What about the female connector for the battery plug and discharge outside the Tx?
Can u tell me anything that might lead to obtaining one of theses connectors?
What about the servo plug spliced to battery leads? Any problem with that idea?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:51 AM
dsnyder

You can call one of our techs at 877-504-0233 to discuss the options and see if it is possible to get one of the connectors.

On the servo plug spliced in, that would also technically void your warranty so I can not recommend it. It may work, but I can't recommend it.

On the antenna down question, there is no set answer to that. The longer you leave the system with the antenna down powered up, the output will decrease with time. As to when the output will go low enough to cause problems is difficult to estimate.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:40 PM
MLC
My Feedback: (5)

Little off subject here, but how many volts should it be showing to know it is fully charged?

Mine only shows a little over 11v, is that considered a full charge?

Thanks,
MLC
Old 03-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Mac_Man_UK

Yep, from experience around 11.2 V just off charge seems to be the norm, with a quickish drop down to the operating voltage of 9.6V.

[8D]
Old 04-22-2004, 07:24 PM
n1xh

just tell us what diode so we dont need to waste our time
looks to me to be D5 ok the switch board but please verify
Old 04-22-2004, 08:07 PM
n1xh

D4 jumped and works 100% with a cycler located on the switch board be sure to use ESD protection if you take on this task
Good Luck
Rob
N1XH
http://n1xh.vze.com
Old 04-23-2004, 09:48 AM
dsnyder

This will void your 3 year warranty on the system in doing this yourself.