JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Range problem w/50MHz

Old 05-02-2004, 07:28 AM
lmisner
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Range problem w/50MHz

Hi Danny:

The problem I have is, I am getting drastically reduced range on my new 6 meter stuff compared to my 72 MHz stuff. Initially I noticed it on my 10X on Ch 06 with a 649 Rx in my Typhoon 2K. I was not getting 20 ft. before it would go into hold. This is with the antenna removed from the 10X. By comparison I can get several hundred ft. with my 72 MHz stuff (649, 950, etc). I also tried my new 945 Rx that's going in my H9 Su-31. Same thing. I have been flying some beater planes on Ch 02 with the 8103, and have been getting glitches, which I had been attributing to using non JR Receivers. I even lost a plane that I only had intermittant control of, shortly after take-off. I took my CH 02 module and put it in my 10X and tested it with a 549x Rx. Again, Less than 20 ft. distance. I realize that the unloaded impedance (no antenna) is going to be different from 50 MHz and 72 MHz, but I would not think that it would cause such a difference. I also find it hard to believe that I would have two bad Tx modules. If the Tx modules were only center tuned at the factory and not tweaked after the chosen crystal was installed, could I see there being a problem. I really don't think this is normal, but I am looking for suggestions.

Thanks,

Lonnie Misner
AMA 49999
FCC KE4IOG
Old 05-03-2004, 02:17 PM
dsnyder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Range problem w/50MHz

That doesn't sound normal at all, the range should be better, and you are doing the range test properly with the antenna out of the 10X. It sounds like there may be some noise in your area on those channels, but this is only a guess. Feel free to send your equipment in for a check up to find out for sure.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:58 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What are you using for a transmitter on 72 mhz?

You should do a range check with the antenna on the 10X but collapsed. That would make the load the output sees comparable to an 8103 or other transmitters where the antenna is attached but collapsed into the case.

Rich

AD9V
Old 05-03-2004, 03:00 PM
dsnyder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We recommend range testing with the antenna out on the 10 series systems since the antenna is top mounted.