Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

10x and flight modes

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 03:49 AM
woodscra
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10x and flight modes

Danny:

I am familiar with the Futaba conditions, would you describe flight modes to me? What switch(es) will switch between the flight modes?

Do I have the choice of triple rates in each flight mode?

Thanks
Craig
Old 07-03-2002, 12:27 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craig,
For the 10X and the 10SXII you can select the elevator, rudder, or aileron dual rate switch as the flight mode switch. This gives you 3 flight modes. You can also select the mix switch to expand the flight modes to 5. You do have the choice of what rates to have in each flight mode, and you can also assign mixes and other functions to the flight modes.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:29 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Triple Rates

Naturally Danny is correct, but here is how I see it. With no flight modes (only 1) you have 3 Elevator rates, 3 Aileron Rates and 3 Rudder Rates for a total of 27 different combinations on 3 switches if my grade school math is still with me. With flight modes activated, you are reduced to a total of 9 combinations on one switch.
I am glad to see this forum as JR is new to me after 27 years of Futaba programming, most on the 9ZAPS. This is the first season for large scale planes and gas engines for me, and the ones I wound up with had JR equipment. I am satisfied so far and have a ton of questions on the 10 myself. Thanks_bob
Old 07-03-2002, 01:36 PM
dsnyder

Bob,
You are correct with that. Some people really like the flight modes, others do not. You can do some pretty powerful options with the flight modes. But I personally do not use flight modes. I like the flexibility of having more possible combinations of rates. For me, each manuever takes different settings, and I don't feel the flight modes allow me this flexibility. But I know a lot of people who love the flight modes and will never change back. I think it is all personal preference. But you can use it which ever way you want to.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:46 PM
bob_nj

Default Fine Line

Again, I am used to flight "conditions" with the Futaba, and like you, I didn't use them that much. Gets confusing and you need a book to keep track of things. One nice thing about "conditions" is that you are given a totally brand new set of programming tools with each condition! That means subtrims, elevator flap mixes and so on down the line. The theories are different, but many times the results are the same. Thanks for your efforts and take care_bob
Old 07-03-2002, 05:12 PM
dsnyder

A lot of the mixing you can assign to each flight mode, so you are correct. The method may be different, but in many cases the results are the same. Have fun!
Old 07-03-2002, 08:43 PM
woodscra

Thanks Danny, does the 10x realy only have 4 fully proportional channels using 1024 bits of resolution?

If so, If i use a dual elevator setup with the second servo in the gear channel, is it correct that I will have one servo with 1024 bits and another at 512 bits of resolution?
Old 07-03-2002, 08:47 PM
woodscra

While discussing flight modes, if I select FM 2 will I get 8 unused p. mixes or do the ones from FM 1 carry over into all flight modes?

May I give different names to my flight modes?

Is it possible to fast charge the 10x battery if it is outside of the TX?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2002, 08:49 PM
dsnyder

No, that is not true. All 10 channels are 1024 resolution. The only issue is that channels 9 and 10 are updated half as often as the other 8 channels. What this means is, only use channels 9 and 10 for non-critical control surfaces, such as gear doors, etc. Channels 1 through 8 are usable for any purpose.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:58 PM
dsnyder

The p-mixes remain the same, but you can assign its function to any flight mode. So they do carry over. They are not named in any way, other than being numbered 1 through 5. You can fast charge the battery inside or out of the transmitter. It is fuse protected, and in most 10X's this is a 5 amp fuse. I would recommend staying around an amp for the charge rate. Anything over may blow the fuse. Also be sure your polarity is correct for JR.
Old 07-04-2002, 03:12 AM
bob_nj

Default 10X Polarity

That brings up an interesting point and question? Last weekend I accidentally plugged my 10X into an overnight Futaba charger :stupid: I actually did it twice before I realized what happened. Man, last time I did this with my 10SX it was lights out Much to my surprise.....nothing happened!! The radio was fine and it works like it's supposed to. Why didn't it blow up? I understand that the charging circuit in the 10X is in the battery pack along with an overcharge fuse of some sort. Was I lucky or did JR protect against temporary insanity
Old 07-04-2002, 11:37 AM
woodscra

Thanks Danny, very helpful. This breeds a new question, you said:

The p-mixes remain the same, but you can assign its function to any flight mode. So they do carry over.

Can I assign one p. mix to multiple flight modes? I may want FM 2 and FM 3 to be exactly alike for p.mixes but different in respect to some other setup, so in this case I would want the same p. mixes assign to both flight modes.

Not doing so means using up more p. mixes which perform exactly the same function.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2002, 12:33 PM
bob_nj

Default woodscra

If I understand your question correctly, you cannot have PM1 as "X" let's say in FM0, and "Y" in FM1. The only option available is the ability to turn it off or on in FM0 or FM1. That is what I meant by the statement referring to the Futaba "conditions" giving you a COMPLETE set of programming tools to work with in each condition. For instance, the 10X has only one set of subtrims while the Futaba has one for each condition. Same goes for elevator flap. The 10X only lets you use one elevator flap setting in all 5 flight modes. That means that I can't have up elevator/down flap for funning around, and up elevator/up flap (spoilerons) on a switch for elevators or harriers. I had to use a PMIX to get the spoilerons the way I wanted them. I'm OK with the 10X because there always seems to be a way to get what I want, but after coming from the "other way", it seems like a few steps backward. These aren't flames, just answers. I like the 10X fine and it's been flawless so far. Have a good holiday_bob
Old 07-04-2002, 09:43 PM
woodscra

Thanks bob, I believe that answers my question. I would in fact want different degrees of spoilers for different FMs, and by doing so I could quickly use up the 8 free p. mixes. And since it isn't 8 p. mixes per FM, then that is limiting.

I really like the looks and feel of the 10x, however, the programming possibilities are important.
Old 07-05-2002, 01:08 PM
dsnyder

The reverse current must not have been high enough to blow the fuse if it is still taking a charge. If the battery will not take a charge, the fuse in the battery charging circuit is blown. Otherwise, it sounds like you got lucky and didn't damage anything.
On the flight modes, yes you can assign the same mix to multiple flight modes. But you do not get clean mixes for each mode. But you should be able to accomplish anything you wish to, but it may take a little mixing to accomplish.
Old 07-05-2002, 01:31 PM
woodscra

OK Danny, to finally clarify this matter, I can assign p. mix #2(or any p. mix I want) to FM 2,3, and 4? Or any p. mix for that matter to one or all of the FMs if I choose so? How is this done in the menu? I want to know so when I get my habds on one of these I can prove it for myself.

This I feel is important information, doing so makes sense, not having this abaility doesn't make sense and is very limiting.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2002, 01:57 PM
dsnyder

After turning on the flight modes in code 17 and hitting page, go to a p mix, and press a couple channels. Hit page once. This is where you select the switches you want to activate the mix. Hit select under each position you would like to. Hit page back to the main mix. Now when you flip the switch you will see it go from POS 1 to POS 0 depending on what selections you made. I hope this helps!
Old 07-05-2002, 06:11 PM
woodscra

I looked at a 10x today. I went to the p. mix and pressed PAGE and saw where I can have it turned on for different switches. But it only gave me the option of switch position 0 and 1, not position 2. Did I miss something or is this true?

Also, I did not see how it let me have the p. mix on for position 0 AND 1 for the same switch such as if I wanted it on all the time, through every p. mix.

Please provide input.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2002, 06:21 PM
dsnyder

For the flight modes, you can select any position. If you are not using flight modes, the mix is only selectable for 2 positions in most cases on three position switches, except for the flap switch. If you want the mix on at all times, you do not need to select a switch.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:43 PM
woodscra

What menu option is used for spoilers?
Can I have spoilers set to different values in each flight mode?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2002, 07:58 PM
dsnyder

There are a couple different ways of using spoilers. The most common way is to set it up so that when you give up elevator, both ailerons go up and vice versa. For this you can just go to code 63 which is an elevator to flap mix. This actually puts this on the flap switch. Just put in the values you want. The other option with elevator to flap mixing is to go to an open programmable mix, and set the master as elevator and the slave as the flaps, or channel 6. Then assign it to the switch of your choice, which can be the flight mode switch if you are using flight modes. Remeber that if the ailerons go the wrong direction, reverse the + to a - or vice versa to reverse it. You can set different rates on each flight mode, but if you want a different rate on all 5 flight modes, it may take a couple mixes.
The other option for spoilers is to just have them independent of any other channel, meaning you flip a switch and they move. You can do this either in code 66 which is the flap system, where you can set up 2 different rates, on the flap switch. Here again, you can also set up this on your switch or flight mode of choice. This you will do in the program mixes, like above, only mix flap to flap, or channel 6 to 6. You will have to activate the flap slider in code 17, go back to the mix, slide the slide switch towards you, and press store. This will make the mix work. Now go back to code 17 and inhibit flap. Now you can go to the mix, set the switch as you would like, and set the rates to how far you want them to move. Make sure the switch is in the position that you want the flaps to move. I hope this helps!
Old 07-13-2002, 12:04 PM
woodscra

Let me tell you what I would like to do and you let me know if it is possible.

1) I want to have a different spoiler setting for FM2 and FM3. I want the spoilers to be activated by a switch while I am in FM3, not just turn on when I go to FM3. I want the same switch to activate the spoilers whether I am in FM2 or FM3. Sound possible? How many mixes would it take?

2) I would like for a multi-point mix of Rud-Ele to be switch activateable only in FM3. Possible? Which switch?

3) I usually run two elevator servos and use separate channels for each. What channel would I plug the second elevator servo into? And, would I need to use a mix to get the second channel to do exactly what the elevator does?

Thanks fo ryour help.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:56 PM
dsnyder

I'm still working on question 1, I haven't found a way yet, but if I do I will let you know. On number 2, yes you can do that. Just press page after setting up the mix, press select under F3. Then press page back to the main mix screen, and flip the flight mode switch to flight mode 3. Then input the numbers. This will be on mixes 6, 7, or 8 which are the multipoint mixes. On question 3, The easist way to set up the second elevator is to go to code 22 and press select under the Tail, and make it say D/ELEV. This puts the second elevator servo on aux 3. Then be sure to go to code 17 and inhibit aux 3. I usually inhibit all of the channels on code 17. I'll be back in touch if I find a way to program the spoilers with another switch activating it in those flight modes.
I hope this helps!
Old 07-18-2002, 01:43 PM
woodscra

For question two you never said which switch would activate the Rud-Ele mix, would you please tell me? I do NOT want this mix activated when I get into FM3, I want it to be switch activateable while I am in FM3.

Thanks for your help.