JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

8103 Repairs

Old 06-01-2004, 12:12 AM
XgenMods

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 8103 Repairs

I purchased an 8103 Heli version a little over a month ago. When I got it the gear switch as well as the aileron D/R switch were slightly bent. I really didn't think much of this as I figured they could be bent back if need be. Well I tried bending them back and with very little pressure they both ended up snapping off. I have also noticed a hairline crack developing in the back plastic casing. I know my radio is under warranty so I called to see how long this would take if I was to send it in. I was told it takes approximately 7 working days in house maybe more. I was also told that because the switches were not actually broken when I purchased the radio that I would be charged for them at $7 each same with the back plastic part that was $10. Then I am also told that it will be a minimum of $50 labor for this to be done. I couldn't believe that I just purchased a $600 radio system that is falling apart and now will be charged around $100 more to correct the problems with it. I went on to ask if I could just purchase the parts since the warranty obviously wasn't worth anything anyways and was put on hold while they got the part numbers. After 15 minuets I finally figured he wasn't coming back on the phone. I called back and spoke with a different person the went on to tell me that I could not even purchase replacement parts and that I would have to send my radio in with a credit card number and they would just charge whatever the total came to after they do the repair. I really don't know what to do about this as it is very frustrating hearing all the posts of the very good service people are getting but then I run into this. Any help on this matter would sure be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:55 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 8103 Repairs

I'm first going to say that if you purchased a new radio that had obvious defects, you should have returned it to the place of purchase. If it was mail order, you should have called the shipper and shipping agency immediately to resolve the problem without attempting self repair.

That said, get in touch again with customer service at Horizon, use a little humility, and see what they say with a different type of presentation. Horizon has one of the best customer service departments in the industry, and they insist on keeping it that way.

Unfortunately, if I was the one listening to the description of the damage,
my first thoughts would be that it sounds like someone dropped or tossed the radio onto a hard surface. Not warranty. Now if it was damaged in shipping, that could be another story.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:40 AM
dsnyder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Generally those types of issues would not be covered under warranty because those are the types of issues that happen due to user error. If the system had this out of the package, you can either work with the place of purchase to get the issues corrected, or send the system in with a proof of purchase.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:04 AM
XgenMods

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got the radio from a local hobby shop just before I was going on vacation. It was the only one that they had. I immediately called the hobby shop when I got home and told them about the problem. I wasn’t able to bring it back for 3 weeks and because of that he told me that I should just send it in to horizon and it would be fixed. This was however when the switches were not fully broken off yet. The hairline crack is no where near the location of the broken switches and there are no marks anywhere on the case like it was dropped. I was told that the plastics start to fall apart due to fuel attacking the plastics and making it brittle. If that’s the case then why the hell did I get sold a heli version radio knowing that its going to be around this type of fuel and starts to crack it in just over a month. Also in talking to allot of the local guys around here they seem to have the same problems with the plastic cases falling apart. Can you please give me the part numbers for the parts I require so that I can get them ordered since I am going to obviously have to pay for them?
Old 06-01-2004, 10:09 AM
dsnyder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As you were told on the phone, we do not sell these parts. You will need to send the system in.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:02 PM
XgenMods

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can you give me an amount of what it will cost total to replace the 2 switches and back plastic case? Also I was told by the first person I talked with that I could get parts he just left me on hold after that.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:58 AM
dsnyder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The back case half is around $10, the switches are around $7 each, labor I would guess would be in the range of $15-$30, plus shipping. As I stated above however, send it in with a copy of your sales receipt, and the service techs can make a warranty decision when it arrives.