Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Charge jack intermittent operation - XP783

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 07:58 PM
Going Balistic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charge jack intermittent operation - XP783

Danny,

The charge jack on my XP783 seems to be malfuntioning.

Without any warning signs, the charge jack is now intermittent and it seems that I now need to hold the charge jack to make connection. The radio was fine last week and now it is really difficult to find a position that the charge jack will make contact.

Two questions:

1. Are you aware of this issue with other 783 or JR radios? if so, do you know if the issue is casued by a cold / bad solder joint on the board or does the connector fail over time?

2. Since the radio is long out of warranty, I was going to replace the jack myself as I have worked with electronics for many years. Can I buy the switch directly from Horizon? I would consider having it replaced at a service centre but I don't believe that there is a sevice centre in Canada and I want to avoid shipping the radio if possible.

Thanks,

GB
Old 09-26-2004, 10:01 PM
coony2787
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charge jack intermittent operation - XP783

I can tell you that my 783 did the same thing. I took it apart and found that the solder joint at the charge jack had come loose. Pretty easy fix just solder it back on. After further inspection i found that the charge jack does not fit real tight case and over the years plugging and unplugging the jack it wiggles whe you do this and the solder joint just broke.

Crack that baby open and take a look at your solder joints.

Chad
Old 09-27-2004, 09:58 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Charge jack intermittent operation - XP783

1. I've not heard of an issue per say with them. In your case it may be a bad solder point.

2. This is a service/repair part and we don't sell them due to liability and stocking issues, etc. We would have the parts available if you were to send the system in, while the system is here, it would also be checked for tuning and output to make sure everything is still within spec.