Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR9303 & Buddy Box

Old 09-26-2004, 11:13 PM
RJM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR9303 & Buddy Box

Hi Danny,

Do you know if the new 9303 has the same buddy box features (pilot link) I think it is called as the 6102 and the 10x. I am led to believe that with those two radios, any 4 channel like the Quattro will work as a buddy box even when there are many programmed mixes in the master. IE. 2 elevator servos mixed together, or any other programmed mixes. Would they transfer to the 4 channel to allow it to be used as a buddy box? Right now I use a 8103 and am unable to do that.

I hope you understand my terrible explanation.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 10:01 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JR9303 & Buddy Box

The 9303 does not have the pilot link function. With the 9303, both systems must be programmed for the model independantly and be capable of flying the model without being in a trainer set up.

The pilot link function does do what you describe, but at this time it is only found in the 6102 and 10X air systems.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:09 PM
RJM

Thanks Danny,

I thought this was going to be the radio to upgrade to. I can't believe they don't have the pilot link feature on such a good radio when you can get one that costs half like the 6102 and it has it.

Any ideas if it will become available?
Old 09-27-2004, 04:15 PM
dsnyder

I don't know of any plans to add this, but I'll pass along the suggestion.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:42 PM
RJM

Danny, thanks for the info.

Couple of more questions if I may.

1. The manual states that all Dual Rates and Exponential settings are transferred to the slave. If one was using a Quattro as the slave, would this also be the case?

2. Will my 8103 non digital trims work as the slave for a dual elevator and/or dual aileron (flaperon) setup if the 8103 is programmed for the mix?

Thanks again
Old 09-28-2004, 10:10 AM
dsnyder

1. This looks to be an error in the manual or it is just a matter of confusion of the wording, this is not correct. All functions are controlled by the slave when control is given to the slave. The slave TX must be fully set up for the model.

2. It will work fine assuming that you set up the mixing in the 8103 to set up the model fully on the same channels etc.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:47 AM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

Even though this is an old thread, I am responding because a friend and I discovered some things with the 9303 as a master using a 10x as a buddy box. The manual is very skimpy in this area for the 9303, and leads you down the wrong path. We found a way to set up the 9303 and 10x so that all mixes and trims are controlled by the 9303 as the master, and the 10x as slave only controls the 4 primary flight controls. To set it up here is what you do:

1. On the 9303, go to the Trainer menu, make sure it is set as Master, and change the four Slave/Master switch settings to SLAVE. This is VERY important, and is not what the manual leads you to believe will work. This transfers the 4 primary plight controls to the Slave transmitter.
2. On the 10x, select a blank model memory in Code 84. I'd also recommend naming it as "Trainer" in Code 81. Go to Code 85 and select PPM for modulation. Then go to Code 78, Pilot Link, and set the 10x up as a SLAVE. Turn off the 10x. If you have any questions on setting up the codes as described, see the 10x manual.
3. Turn on the 9303, and plug the buddy cord into the DSC jack. Plug the other end into the 10x DSC jack, leaving the switch OFF on the 10x. Make sure the 9303 controls all of the flight functions on your airplane normally. Press the Snap Roll button on the 9303, and the 10x should now control the 4 primary flight controls (aileron, elevator, rudder, throttle). Any mixes such as two aileron servos, two elevator servos, expos, throws, rates, etc should transfer through. The trims on the 10x will have no effect, nor will any of the other buttons or switches on the 10x. All of the trims and switchable mixes, dual rates, etc, will continue to be controlled by the 9303, button pressed or not. On our systems, the trims transfer absolutely perfectly.

This was a great find for us, because you don't have to set up the slave transmitter mixes, trims, etc; you can use a plain vanilla setup. I don't know if other JR transmitters will work the same way as a slave, but it is worth a try.

Jon Lowe
Old 05-03-2005, 09:22 AM
dsnyder

The 10X air and the 6102 systems are the only systems with the pilot link function and are the only systems at this time that will work in this mannor.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:38 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me confirm what Jon Lowe wrote. What he said about using a 10X for a slave also applies to using a 9303 as a slave. To a lesser extent it is also true if the slave is a 8103 or 783. When using a 9303 as a slave, all control rates and directions are correctly controlled by the master transmitter if the slave is set in its default configuration. Trims are controlled by the master. If a 8103 or 783 is the slave, the trims are carried over. One set the trims on the slave as indicated by the small arrows. The same as you would do when using a 8103 as a master. Directions and rates are controlled correctly if the slave is in the default configuration. In fact the master and slave don't have to be set to the same type of aircraft. The master 9303 can be in the glider configuration and the slave 783 can be set up for acro as long as the slave is set to its default.

The other point that Jon made should be emphasized. Jon said the 9303 should be set in the program trainer not the normal trainer mode. I would go further and state that if the master 9303 has one its primary channels set to reverse rotation, NEVER use the normal trainer configuration. Always use the program trainer mode. As long as one or more of the more primary channels are set to the program position, things work right. Otherwise if one or more of the master primary channels are set to reverse rotation, there is no way to get the slave transmitter to control in the reverse channel properly using a 783 or 8103. (If the slave is a 9303 and it is set to master not slave, it will work, sort of. The slave settings have to be set identical to the master.)

If you want to see things go really askew, set the master 9303 to the glider configuration, reverse the primary channels, and set the trainer mode to normal. Not only will the right aileron and the other three primary controls be opposite of the master, the left aileron will be controlled by the throttle stick when control is passed to the slave transmitter.

A good deal of the above info came from Horizon. I nearly put an aircraft in the ground and then spent a period of nearly forty-five days trying to figure out how to get the 9303 trainer function to work properly. Twice my transmitters were sent to be examined. Fortunately the last time, a smart technician understood the problem I was having and found a solution.

Allan Worrest
Old 05-04-2005, 04:53 PM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: AWorrest

The other point that Jon made should be emphasized. Jon said the 9303 should be set in the program trainer not the normal trainer mode. I would go further and state that if the master 9303 has one its primary channels set to reverse rotation, NEVER use the normal trainer configuration. Always use the program trainer mode. As long as one or more of the more primary channels are set to the program position, things work right. Otherwise if one or more of the master primary channels are set to reverse rotation, there is no way to get the slave transmitter to control in the reverse channel properly using a 783 or 8103. (If the slave is a 9303 and it is set to master not slave, it will work, sort of. The slave settings have to be set identical to the master.)

Allan Worrest
We found the same thing using the 10x as the slave. We could not get the mixes correct at all in the 10x in normal mode on the 9303, because of the servo reversing issue. That is when we started playing around and found that putting the 9303 in the Program mode made things work. Saves a TON of time also, trying to get the slave set up the same as the master. Since all of the mixes, expo, throws etc are controlled by the 9303 in the Program mode, there are no worries about an incorrect setup on the slave.

Jon Lowe