Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Flapperon oddity

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 09:26 AM
VinceL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flapperon oddity

Hi Danny,

I've been setting up my new profile with my 8103. This airplane is my first with digital servos on the ailerons using flapperons. Before setting the wing type to flapperon, one aileron working in normal wing mode, the servo seems very smooth and normal. When the wing type is selected to flapperon and both servos operate they both seem to move in steps, not smooth. The operation of the servos is correct in all regards to correct throw and direction but they are much more stepped / jerky in their travel. Switching flapperon off and the servos operate smooth independantly. I've used flapperon before on this radio and never seen this. Even tried my other funfly with flapperons and it didn't do it either. I'm baffled, is it something to do with the digital servos? Is the resolution cut down in flapperon mode?

Thanks,
Old 02-23-2005, 10:03 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flapperon oddity

No, the resolution is not cut using flaperons. What receiver are you using?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:30 AM
VinceL

Not sure of the M/N at this point but it is a 10 channel Z PCM unit. Come to think of it I haven't used any type of PCM in this application before, is that relative?
Old 02-24-2005, 09:11 AM
VinceL

Your question about the receiver prompted me to do a little more research last evening. I swapped the receiver for another like ZPCM 10 channel and had the same results. I then substituted a FM 610M that I had laying around. On FM all is smooooooth again. I guess PCM or maybe Z in combo with brand H digitals is the root of the problem. I just wish I understood why. I remember the 610M being glitched pretty hard in another airplane. I sent it in with no faults found. Do you consider it an appropriate reciever for my application: 65 in profile w/ 120 4stroke? Should I be looking into another RX?

Thanks,
Old 02-24-2005, 10:01 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard of some cases of servos moving like you mention with ZPCM receivers when using flaperons is the reason I asked. This is due to the slower speed of ZPCM. The only work arounds are either to use a different receiver, or set up the dual ailerons through program mixing, using mix 5 or 6, and set up an aileron to aux channel mix, with the rates set at 100%.