Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

smoke pump set-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke pump set-up

Hello Danny!

I am trying to set my Sullivan smoke pump with a 7.4V lipo pack and 8103 tx on a R649rx. I want to use the land switch to turn on the pump and i mixed with throttle.

Settings:
TRav adj
Spoi=+86%,-0%

Mix 3:
Throt to spoi
Rate:+10%, -0%
sw: land
Offset:0

Problems:
1) The smoke pump work only when the throttle stick is over 50% and nothing between 0 to 50%? How could i turn on the pump in the 0-50% range?

2) Can we turn off the spoiler pot? how?

Thanks
Daniel
Old 06-06-2005, 08:50 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: smoke pump set-up

1) Increase the 0 value in the program mix to get movement below half stick.
2) You could set the travel adjust of SPOI to 0% in both directions, or set up a spoi to spoi mix and set the rates to say -86% (the value of the mix needs to be a negative percentage, equal to the value set in travel adjust.)
Old 06-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Scoubidou

I increased the Mix 3 (throt to spoil) Rate:+10%,-10% and it works good but the pump do not work if i set the travel adjustment to 0%. I tried another mix Spoil to Spoil but no change? The Spoiler potentiometer works as a trim to the oil flow?

I am going to try it this weekend with the Spoiler pot effective but let me know if you have another idea to desactivate the pot.
Daniel
Old 06-07-2005, 09:07 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried it both ways and it works either way. Try increasing the percentage of the mix. 10% is very low. Even at 10% though, this system moves the channel on the servo monitor, but it may not be enough to run the pump. Remember in the spoi to spoi mix if you go that route will need to match the value of the travel adjust of the channel in each direction, and be a negative value to eliminate the pot.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:49 AM
Scoubidou

Remember in the spoi to spoi mix if you go that route will need to match the value of the travel adjust of the channel in each direction, and be a negative value to eliminate the pot.
It works now!

I have another new problem. I am using 2 cell lipo 7.4V without regulator to save weight on the pump. that pump accept any voltage from 6 to 12VDC and more volts equal more oil flow and smoke.

I have so much flow at 75% throttle that i can empty the 16oz tank in 30 sec!! If i reduce the mix rate at 25%, the pump runs only at 75 -100% throttle. If i increase the mix to 80%, the pumps runs from 20% throttle to 100% but after 60% throttle, the pump speed is to high.

Would it be possible to programm a limit of oil flow after 50% throttle? I mean, i like the way it works now from 25% to 50% throttle but whatever the throthle stick position after 50%, i would like to keep the same pump speed?
Daniel
Old 06-09-2005, 07:58 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

DanieL,

I had been having similar problems. My Mega Smoke (now out of business) pump uses a GWS 50 speed control and the motor in the pump sometimes doesn't seem to have enough power to start at the lower throttle settings. At full pump volume I would use way too much oil. I think I may end up installing a restrictor between the pump and the injector nozzle and let the pump run at a higher speed.

The mix I used in my 8301 was as follows:

Programmable mix 2

Spoiler to Aux 3

Sw: BTFY0

Point-L= -66
Point 1= -9
Point 2 through H= -5

Travel adjustment:
Aux 3 +0%
-100%

Subtrim 0

This gave me the proper flow with the longest smoke time and thickest smoke at all throttle inputs and allowed the pump to turn on and off properly. On occasion the pump will not start to run unless I go to full throttle and start the pump there giving higher power to the motor to get it going, then all is usually well.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Scoubidou

I think I may end up installing a restrictor between the pump and the injector nozzle and let the pump run at a higher speed.

Good idea
Where can i find that flow restrictor?
Daniel
Old 06-09-2005, 11:28 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

A simple restrictor would be a small clamp made from two metal plates, screws and nuts that when tightend would restrict the flow. This would be easy to do with the cowl off on the ground. The drawback to this is the tubing may take a set over time and the flow rate could change.

You can use a remote needle valve assembly from an old engine or one sold by Perry/Varsane/Conley or the Perry smoke valve connected to a micro servo. I originally had a Perry shaker pump, check valve and smoke valve with Hitec HS-56 servo installed but the shaker pump proved to be worthless. I removed the whole lot. I will probably reinstall the servo and valve and use it to set the max flow. The pump should draw less current if dead headed, but I'll have to verify this.