Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

XP8103 Antenna Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Steve108
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP8103 Antenna Question

Hi, I have an XP8103 and wanted to know if you can fill me in on damaging the RF section by leaving the antenna out when the radio is on. I have done this a few times because mine wont collapse all the way and so I have to take it out to fit in the case. (I'll have a new antenna soon.) I realized this might be bad when I burnt out a CB radio by using it without an antenna. The radio works fine, I was just wondering if it could become a problem in the future.

Steve
Old 07-18-2005, 09:49 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: XP8103 Antenna Question

Having the antenna removed with the power on will cause heat build up in the module, and potentially weaken the output transistor in the module. If this happens, the module case will be hot to the touch. In normal operation the module will get warm, but it should never get hot. If it has gotten hot when the antenna was removed, your output may have weakened potentially causing a loss of range. Be sure to do a thorough range test before you fly. You can send the module/TX in for service to have this checked and repaired if necessary as well.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Steve108

Thanks, I have one other question, my new antenna is very stiff to move, is the force of pulling and pushing it bad for my radio?

Steve
Old 08-01-2005, 11:05 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would have to be extremely stiff to move in order to do any damage. Unless the antenna is bent, rusted, or other signs of damage, it should not cause any problems.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Steve108

Okay, thank you.

Steve