Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

8103 vs. x -378 and digital trims

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 07:57 PM
jstrattwilson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8103 vs. x -378 and digital trims

I have been flying for only about 7 months now. I have a 652 transmitter, and probably don't know half the things it is capable of. Still, I would like to get something with digital trims. Seems like I am alway hitting the trim knobs when the radio is off and......you know.

At any rate, I started looking on ebay and this site for a radio. I have looked @ the x-378, and the 8103. I have a few questions:

What are the main differences besides # of channels?
Can both be FM or PCM by selecting the proper mode or are they different radios (one for FM and one for PCM)?
How can I tell the Helicopter version from airplane version by looking at pictures (sometimes the ads don't say)?

I am looking at used equipment, so it would be nice to know if there are versions with digital trims and versions without. I would hate to buy the wrong one.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:06 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 8103 vs. x -378 and digital trims

The programming logic is different between the two systems which is mainly just related to screen differences. Also the 8103 has a bit more capability than the 378. Yes, both can use SPCM, ZPCM, and PPM (FM) modulation types. The switch layouts are a bit different between the aircraft and heli systems, however both types share identical programming capabilities.

For the 378, you can tell if you have a picture showing the front labels, on the air system the labels at the top of the radio will say ELEV, LAND , GEAR, AUX 2 on the left label and RUDD D/R, SNAP ROLL, FLAP, TRN/TIMER THRO CUT on the right label and the model number should be NET-K227FS while on the heli system it will say FLIGHT MODE, HOV PIT, TRN/TIMER THRO CUT on the left and AUX/HOLD, HOV THRO, GEAR/INVERT on the right and the model number is NET-K227HS.

For the 8103, the front labels are also different, for instance on the lower right hand corner the air will have a red A beside the 8103 name while the heli will have an H in red. The air system will have ELEV, LAND, FLAP MIX on the right hand front top label and FLAP with a rotary pot on the left. The heli has PIT TRIM with a rotary pot on the left front top and GEAR/INVERT on the right.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:18 PM
jstrattwilson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Danny. Are both models digital trims?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:35 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Current 8103's are digital trim, however the original systems were mechanical trim. They were changed to the 3+1 digital trims (Throttle is mechanical, the other 3 are digital) around 4-5 years ago just guessing. All 378's are digital trim.