Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

jr 783 channel mixing

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 08:07 PM
3dinfool
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jr 783 channel mixing

hi danny.i have a 783 radio and im trying to figure out how to mix my elevator so i can use two elevator servos without using a servo reverse y harness.also i broke my snap rolll trainer switch and have been getting bumps like hits .i was wondering if this switch being broken even though it aint active if it could cause interference within the radio.the middle of the switch there still is a piece of the lever and was wondering if this maybe my problem.

i tried two other recievers with the same results and also checked into frequency interference.maybe my radio needs retuning.any info is greatly appreciated.thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 09:37 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: jr 783 channel mixing

Below is a programming guide that should assist you with setting the system up. If the trainer switch was making intermittent contact internally that could cause some issues if that switch is being used for anything. It may be best to send the system in for a check up and repair.

Programming Guide for the JR 783 radio system

The following is a programming example for a plane using 2 elevator servos, the second servo plugged into aux 2 or channel 7, 2 aileron servos, the second aileron plugged into the aux 1 or channel 6, using spoilerons for harriers and elevators. Keep in mind that any advise is for maximum control surface throw, and should only be used by well-experienced pilots. If you follow along, several features of the 783 will be demonstrated, which should help better understand the abilities of the system.

System Set-Up Mode

To start with we will open a clear model, so press and hold the up and down keys together and flip the power switch on and then release the up and down keys. Press the + key until you get to a clear model. Then press the up key twice to get to the model type. To get to the correct type, press the + key to get to ACRO, if it is not already in ACRO mode. Next you will press the up key to model reset. Press CLR so that it will restore the system to factory defaults. Press the up key again, to set the wing type selection. Press the + key to set this to mix wing FLPR. Press the up key to select the modulation of the system. Here you will use the + and – keys to set this to the desired modulation. Then you can press the up key till you get to the name selection, and re-name the model.
At this point we have set up the system mode for our plane. One important thing to note is the flaperon set-up that we put into the wing type selection. This feature mixes the aileron channel with the aux 1 or channel six, so that they will both work as ailerons, and we can set them up to work as flaps as well. Plug the right aileron in to channel 2 and the left into channel 6.

Function Mode

Next we will set up the function mode of transmitter. If you are still in the system mode, just press the up and down keys together twice, or turn the radio off and back on, and press the up and down keys together again. This will get you into the function mode.

Dual Rate and Exponential Set-Up

Now that we are in the function mode, it brings you to the dual rate set-up. You can set these to your desired amounts. Press the channel key to select the channel, and the + and – keys to set the rates. I would set up the high rate at 100% and the low rate between 50% and 75% for the elevator and aileron, and between 60% and 80% for the rudder. Next press the up key to get to the expo set up for each channel, and use the same keys as in dual rates to set the values. You can set various values for each rate. I use around 50% expo on high rate elevator and aileron and between 20% and 50% on high rate rudder. I would use around 20% to 30% on low rate elevator and aileron, and 10% to 15% on low rate aileron.

Travel Adjustment

Next we will set up the travel adjustments, so press the up key till you get to the screen where it says TADJ in small print on the bottom center of the screen. Your manual gives a good description of how to adjust these. For a full 3D plane, I would set the travel adjustments to 150% on the control surface channels including aux 1 and aux 2 which in the travel adjustment will be labeled FLAP and SPOI. This will help enable the large control surface throws using the highest mechanical advantage possible, as you are using the full movement of the servo. Then set your distances out on the servo arm to the linkage as small as possible and the control horn to the linkage to as large as possible, and still maintain 40 to 45 degrees travel on the surfaces. Follow the planes recommendations for the linkage set up. This is very crucial, as an incorrect set up will lead to flutter.

Aileron Differential

Next press the up key till you get to mix DIFF. This is where you will set-up the differential in the ailerons. You will use this to help the plane roll more axially. This feature makes the aileron go further up, than down. This is necessary due to differences in lift and drag generated by the up and down going ailerons, creating a yawing moment on the plane. Having the up going aileron going further up than down, minimizes the effect. The amount required will vary plane by plane. If the manual for the plane gives a guideline for the amount of differential follow it. If it does not give a guideline, start out with 5% to 10%, and adjust after flying to improve the roll characteristics.

Dual Elevator Servo Set-Up

Now we will set up the elevators, so that we will have channels 3 and 7 working together. You will plug the right elevator into channel 3, and the left elevator into channel 7. Press the up key till you get to mix E or F. We will use E or F, as they are including mixes, meaning the elevator trim lever will operate both channels. If you do this mix on any other mix, the elevator trim will not work the second channel. Once at the mix E or F, press the CH key twice. The screen should say mix F CH 1 – 1. Press the + key and change the first number to 3. Press the – key to change the second number to 7. Now press the CH key, and make sure the screen says mix F SW ON. Press it once again, and the screen should now say mix F37 0%. Make the percentage 100% by pressing the + key. Then move the elevator stick, and the screen will return to 0% in one direction of movement. Make this 100% also with the + key. Now we have the elevator working on both channels, but the aux 2 knob will operate the second channel. To eliminate this, will use another mix. For this mix, I would use mix C. Press the DN key to get to this mix. Once at the mix, press the CH key till it says mix C CH 1 – 1. Press the + key till the first number says 7, and press the – key till the second number says 7 also. Then press the CH key till the screen says mix 7-7 0%. Press the – key till it says -100%. Then rotate the aux 2 knob, which is on the top left hand side. Rotate this until the screen says 0% again. Press the – key till it says –100% once again. This completes the set up of the elevators.

Completion of Aileron Set-Up

Now we need to remove the flap pot from operating the ailerons as flaps. If you like having this ability, you can continue to the next paragraph. Press the up key till the screen says FLP.P. Press the CLR button until this says INH. This will eliminate the pot function.

At this point, we have a fully functional set-up, but there are still lots of features you can add. You will of course need to set up your sub trims, servo reversing, and travel adjustments as required. Keep in mind that the lower sub trim value you use, for the most part, the better off you will be when trying to use large travels. If you use too much sub trim, your servos will reach the end of their movement before the surface moves very far.

Flaperon/Spoileron Set-Up

For a 3D set-up, we will set up spoilerons. One good way to set up the spoilerons for harriers and elevator maneuvers, is to mix elevator to flap. Lets set this up in mix A. Press the up key till you get this mix. Now press the CH key till the screen says mix A CH 1 –1. Press the + key to make the first number say 3, and press the – key till the second number says 6. Next, you will press the CH key until it says mix A SW. You can put this on a few different switches, but lets set this up on the flap mix switch. Press the + key until it says LAND. This will activate the switch is in the down position. If you want the mix active with the switch in the up position, make this say EL-F. Now we will press the CH key to get back to the screen mix A 3 6 0%. If it says OFF, move the flap switch till it says 0%. Pull up elevator, and make the value –100% with the – key. Now push down elevator, and make the value –100% again. This should make the ailerons go up with up elevator and vice versa. If they go opposite of this, change the –100% values to + 100% to reverse it. Of course if you want to set-up flaperons instead of spoilerons you would make the ailerons go down with up elevator and vice versa.

Smoke system Set-Up

Another option that can be used is a smoke system. An easy set up for an electronic smoke system if one is to be used, is to plug the smoke into the gear channel and use the gear switch to turn it on and off.

Knife Edge Mixing

Many aerobatic planes require some elevator and aileron correction to keep knife-edge maneuvers straight. To do this, use mixes B and D. To do this mix, press the up or down key until you get to mix B. Press the CH key twice, and the press the + key till the first number says 4. Press the – key until the second number says 3. Press the channel key Move the rudder stick to the left and press the + or – key to set the value of the mix. Good starting points for the percentage of the mix is around 8% – 10% and increase or decrease the value as necessary. If the elevator correction responds in the incorrect direction, change the percentage of the points from + to – or vice versa. Now give right rudder and adjust the right rudder amount by again pressing the + and – keys to get the desired value. Repeat this process for the rudder to aileron in mix D. Usually the amount required for aileron correction is less, and will be closer to 5% or under for most planes.

I hope this clears up some questions you have in programming the 783. There are a lot of things you can do to add and change to the above examples to customize it the set up to you taste. While the examples given may not be used in your case, they should show you how to use the features of the radio to your benefit.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:02 PM
3dinfool
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[8D] thanks danny for your quick response.the examples you metioned are just what im looking for.much appreciated.have a merry christsmas and a happy new year.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:37 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem! Happy holidays to you as well!