Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

9303 setup in heli with GY502 and TJ Pro governor

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 03:00 AM
WhirlyGirl
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9303 setup in heli with GY502 and TJ Pro governor

Danny,

I have a very specific programming question for setting up my Raptor. I've recently just installed a Model Avionics Throttle Jockey Pro on my heli and had to do some re-plumbing from how I was previously programmed, but now I'm not getting the results I need and therefore I can't calibrate the TJ Pro properly to fly.

RX Set-up:

THR - throttle servo
AIL - aileron servo
ELEV - elevator servo
RUD - rudder servo wire of the GY502
GEAR - wire lead from TJ Pro
AUX 1 - collective servo
AUX 2 - signal wire from GY502
AUX 3 - N/A
AUX 4 - N/A

The gyro appears to be working how I want. I have the GYRO SENS menu set to RUDD D/R with Pos. 0 at 80% (Heading Hold) and Pos. 1 at 20% (standard mode). I tested it with the radio on the the Rudder D/R switch does turn on and off the heading hold capability of the gyro. In my previous setup, the gyro was plugged into the GEAR channel and I used the GEAR switch to activate HH.

Now for the governor. In the Device Select menu, I have the following parameters:

F.MOD EXTRA - INH
THRO HOLD - Hold switch
Pit. TRIM - INH
GEAR - GEAR switch OUT: GOV
AUX2 - AUX2 switch OUT: GYR
AUX3 - FMOD switch OUT: INH
AUX4 - FMOD switch OUT: INH
RUD TRIM: COM

Now, as I understand it, the Travel Adj. menu needs to have +/-100% values in GEAR for calibration of the TJ Pro. I also went into the GOVERNOR menu and set NORM to 0% and ST-1 to 100% and ST-2 to 100% (and HOLD to 0%). In order to enter calibration mode with the TJ, you must toggle the aux switch that it is assigned to twice and the LED will flash green. I've tried toggling the F. Mod switch from NORM to ST-1 and I've also tried toggling the GEAR switch. Neither one gets me the green LED.

This is what the TJ needs to see in order to engage/disengage. The NORMAL mode needs to send a signal <5% to the TJ for it to be in the OFF state. The ST-1 and ST-2 modes need to send values of 100% for calibration, then be changed to get my desired head speed (somewhere around 65%). I need to be able to turn off the TJ when I go to NORMAL mode, then turn it on when I go to ST-1 or ST-2, and be able to set the output values for the GEAR channel at NORMAL, ST-1 and ST-2.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:35 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 9303 setup in heli with GY502 and TJ Pro governor

If the governor needs to see -100% and +100%, likely you need to set one of the values in the governor menu to -100% and one to +100%. But I'm not familiar with the governor to know for sure, I would recommend contacting the manufacturer of the governor for further assistance.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:13 PM
WhirlyGirl

Thank you.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:47 PM
WhirlyGirl

OKAY...I've got the goods now! I just got off the phone with Kurt - the owner of Model Avionics.

I'm posting my discovery here so that other newbies have the proper way to set up and calibrate a simliar setup as mine.

RX:

THR - throttle servo
AIL - aileron servo
ELEV - elevator servo
RUD - rudder servo wire of the GY502
GEAR - wire lead from TJ Pro
AUX 1 - collective servo
AUX 2 - signal wire from GY502
AUX 3 - N/A
AUX 4 - N/A

In Device Select, make sure the Gear is set to the Gear switch and the Output reads: ACT...NOT GOV. This allows you to toggle the channel for entering calibration mode on the TJ Pro.

Now go back to the main menu, make sure the throttle travel adjust is as close to +/-100% as possible. Gear should already be +/-100% (default). Set your throttle stick and trim all the way down. Flip the gear switch toward the antenna. Turn the heli on, toggle the gear switch: ON - OFF - ON and now the TJ will blink green. Move your throttle to full, then back to closed and now you are calibrated.

Now, go back to Device Select, make the output on the GEAR channel read GOV instead of ACT. This allows you to access the governor menu in the main list and set values for your headspeed. Turn the heli back on and while you are in the governor menu, slowly increase the value in the NORM line until you see the steady green light. This will tell you at what percentage the governor will engage.

Now, go out to the field, have someone set an optical tach to 1700 (or whatever value you choose for normal). Run your headspeed up in normal, but don't allow the heli to lift off. While in the governor menu, scroll up the value until you "hear" the governor engage...it will give you that bogging sound when it engages. Continue increasing the value until your helper sees 1700 on the tach. This makes it much less scary when trying to calculate ST-1 HS's.

So, my final programming looks like this in Device Select with my TJ Pro properly calibrated and my gyro running through AUX 2.

F.MOD EXTRA - INH
THRO HOLD - Hold switch
Pit. TRIM - INH
GEAR - GEAR switch OUT: GOV
AUX2 - AUX2 switch OUT: GYR
AUX3 - FMOD switch OUT: INH
AUX4 - FMOD switch OUT: INH
RUD TRIM: COM