Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Hangar 9 Aluminum servo arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 08:59 AM
arobatx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Aluminum servo arms

Danny,

Is there any problem using the Aluminum Hangar 9 Servo arms on non-metal output shafts of JR servos, specifically the 8231? After asking around in other forums I went ahead and tried it. I have had no failure, but I do have play in my control surfaces, though everything is ball-linked and should be slop free. I traced the movement down to what was either the fit of the aluminum arm on the output shaft, or the gearset in the servo. My two aileron servos and my two elevator servos all show the gear movement. I know the aluminum arms i am using are slightly longer than the JR heavy duty nylon arms, so maybe the leverage on the tips is showing greater gear play simply due to that. I just want to make sure that I am not asking for trouble here. The engine is hyde mounted, and all linkages are carbon fiber rod, titanium ends, and ball links... I'm used to the 8231 being a very slop free servo, and these have only 6 flights on them, any thoughts?
Old 08-14-2006, 08:59 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hangar 9 Aluminum servo arms

Those arms should work fine on those servos. Due to the nature of machining, there can be slight variences in spline sizes from arm to arm. You might try contacting our product support department for further assistance at 877-504-0233.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:10 AM
arobatx

I inspected this more closely, and found that in all four servos it is play in the geartrain, not the arm on the output shaft. I switched the the JR heavy duty nylon arms, which are shorter, and still noticed the problem. I then replaced the gearset in two of the 8231s and the slop is still there. I got into a conversation at the field yesterday about this, and another flying buddy 8231s on ailerons, and a single 8231 pushing a joined elevator, is having problems ONLY on the aileron servos. The elevator is fine. Any thoughts? He has also replaced the gear sets in the two he is having problems with.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:34 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what could be happening. Are both bearings installed on the output gear? Check the center pin hole location in the top of the servo case to be sure that it is not broken. Aside from that, I'm not sure what might be the cause as those servos are generally very slop free. You might send them in for a check up.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:04 AM
arobatx

I have three 8231s on a voyager 50 that I have flown hard for three seasons, and even put in the dirt a couple times. I'm only guessing, but they must have several hundred flights on them. After inspecting them after my 'hard landings' there were no noticeable problems, were tested, and were continued to be flown without any replacement parts. They are still flying today, and I cannot feel any slop in them AT ALL with the same arm installed. I will have to pull them from the plane and inspect the case and pin as you described.