Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

How to order a CH 58 Crystal with the center dot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to order a CH 58 Crystal with the center dot?

Danny,
I just purchased another R700 the other day and need a CH 58 crystal. My LHS's told me they have no way of specifing the location of the DOT. I would like to purchase a crystal with the dot in the center to match all of my other crystal sets. Can I order it through Horizon directly specifing the dot location.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:16 PM
carper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to order a CH 58 Crystal with the center dot?

Why do you care where the dot is? This is an old myth about the dot. At the most you may loose is 10 feet of range if the dots are different. With the ranges that the radios get now a days it doesn't make any difference. I have a metering device that I used last week and as I drove away from our flying field I was able to receive the freq that I was monitoring for well over 2 miles. Like I said this went out years ago do to the way that the new Crystals are being cut. Hope you don't mind the intrusion. CARPER
Old 04-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Iflyglow

Carper
It is a piece of mind thing. If it does not matter than why does JR still sell them this way. FYI: Having the dots to the exteme sides does have a pronounced affect on range, my plane ranged checked for half the distance of a matched set of crystals that were both on center. My point is all of my crystals are on the center, and I want another CH 58 crystal just like my others.!!!! My 6102 I bought 2 years ago originally came with the transmitter crystal to the left. Now say I go and buy 10 flight packs, and three come with the dot on the right, according to Horizon they do not recommend you use crystals that are more than one dot away. Now what, since you cannot specify the location when you order it. This is a F***** up way of marketing a product. All I want is a guranteed way of purchaseing a crystal, and being able speicfy the location of the dot.

That is simple enough for you to understand isn't it.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:45 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do the dots on the crystals mean? Are they important?
The dot indicates the cut of the crystal in relation to its true frequency, either centered exactly on the frequency or just above or below the frequency when viewed on a scope. With today's level of tuning, it makes very little difference in overall performance. For top performance, in those models that require the absolute best, such as turbines and giant scale aircraft, avoid using oposite dots in the transmitter and receiver, such as a left dot in the transmitter and a right dot in the receiver. For the best performance they should be next to each other, a center and a right or left, or the same. The dot system is a way that JR users can fine tune their set up for optimum performance.

There is not a system in place to order a specific dot for a crystal.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Iflyglow

Danny,
For example, I buy a new radio with a ten model memory, and it comes with a left justified crystal. What happens when I order 10 crystals for the ten flight packs I just purchased, and four of them are right justified. Now what do you do.
Are you going to tell me that since I am not flying turbines, I do not need the precision. I bought JR because I WANTED THE BEST and the so called precision (JR "FEEL THE DIFFERENCE").[8|] This is some really messed up marketing. Why doesn't JR invest in crystals that are cut with a higher precision (they are out there), or get rid of the dot system totally if it does not matter.

FYI: I bought the correct crystals straight through Horizon yesterday.

Better yet, I will just buy my crystals from PRECISION DEVICES next time (MILATARY SPEC.) They are both cheaper, and cut to a much higher tolerance, plus ther made here in WI. You can buy a set for $12.00.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:38 PM
mlancast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you just buy the synth Tx and Rx. Then you won't need those pesky crystals?

[sm=eek.gif]
Old 04-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Iflyglow

Crystals have allways worked fine for me before. I just wanted a matching crystal that all. If they did not have dots then I would be fine, but since JR claims the tolerance varies that much on there crystals, I would like to have amatching set.
Like I said before, I will be buying my next crystal from PERFORMANCE DEVICES.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:38 AM
dsnyder

You are taking this way out of context. The fact is the tolerances for JR crystals are just as tight or tighter than any other manufacturer. The dot system just allows users that one extra measure of performance that others do not allow. I've flown MANY aircraft with opposite dots without ever having a problem. With today's level of tuning, it makes very little difference in performance.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Iflyglow

I think it would be a wise decision if JR (Horizon) would only ship JR Transmitters with the center dot. That way any crystal would only be of by 1 dot max. Like I previously stated, my 6102 came with a left justified dot. Why would you ship it that way. My odds are 33% that I am going to get a crystal with the farthest seperation (not good). Beleive me, there are different tolerances in the cutting of crystals. Performance Devices are marketing some of the highest tolerance crystals made, and they have them for JR now.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:05 AM
dsnyder

We can not order specific dots of crystals, we do however not send out opposite dots w/ systems.

I fully understand that there are different tolerances for crystals. We recommennd only JR crystals for proper performance, if you use another brand you are on your own so to speak in terms of performance, and if you have a problem, you could be voiding the warranty.