Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

8103 blown fuse

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Maxime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8103 blown fuse

Hello,

My friend had a problem today with his recently bought, still under warranty 8103 transmitter. Today we went flying, and as soon as the transmitter was turned on, the Tx fuse blew up. We were able to find a replacement fuse and flew without problems.

However... Why would the fuse blow up? Seems like it's a sign that something is wrong inside the transmitter. What would happen if the fuse blew up while the heli is in flight???

A quick stop at the hobby shop after the flying session... And the LHS owner told us that half the JR tx he sells blow a fuse from time to time and that he would not take it back to send it to you under warranty because if he did then he would send you dozens and dozens transmitters per year.

Can you tell us if it's normal that the Tx blows fuses like that, and why would that happen...The transmitter had been charged at 0.4 amps/hours prior to going to the flying field, and nothing apparent shorted the charging jack.

Thank you!

Old 05-10-2006, 08:48 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 8103 blown fuse

Any number of things can cause a fuse to blow. It would be impossible for me to say what it might be. However a fuse blowing is something that can happen. If it happens regularly on a particular system, it might be best to have it checked over. The most common thing to blow a fuse is improper charging (polarity set incorectly, too high of charge rate, etc) A fuse blowing while the system is on is next to impossible. If a fuse is to blow, it will happen while charging, or turning the system on. These are the times with the highest current and hence the most likely for the fuse to blow.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:14 PM
wsantore
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 8103 blown fuse

Danny,

While I concur that the fuse blowing with the radio on is a rare occurrence, it can happen. Recently we were flying a Master-Slave buddy-box set-up with a 6102 and 631, when my son inadvertently stepped on the trainer cord causing it to pull out of the Master Tx. The plug must have shorted the power temporarily as the fuse was blown resulting in no control and the inevitable crash (the good news - no one was injured; the bad news - the Cub and engine were totaled).

The lesson - be careful with a trainer cord as it does connect/turn on the power with a JR Tx.

regards,
Bill