Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Help range check

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 09:24 AM
airbusmech
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help range check

Hi Danny,

I recently flew in an imac contest and noticed on the second day my airplane would not range check when others were on.(Model not running).

Has anyone failed a range check if someone else has their radio on with the antenna extended?

I seemed to discover this on my radio at the field.I tried it on two of my airplanes at home also. Same result.

If I switch on one of my other radios (Futuba different freq) but leave my original (JR8103) on with the antenna collapsed my surfaces lock up on my extra.Tried it with two different modules one on 16 and the other was a brand new synthesized module selected to 16 then tried 17.I also tried two different receivers & crystals 16 & 17.

I am testing this on three differnt 770pcm recievers and using the jr8103 tx.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 06-30-2006, 09:38 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help range check

No, that should not happen unless the other TX's are splattering over onto other channels. Do you get an acceptable range check without anyone on?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1079
Old 06-30-2006, 10:40 AM
airbusmech

Yes it range checks o/k when no one is on.

It is in my 28% extra;which has always flown with no issues till I range checked it at it's first IMAC a coulpe of weeks ago.We even tried a new reciever and changed crystals out to channel 17 on my receiver.When I got home I used a different reciever and it still happens.I extend my futaba channel 40 and my 8103 anntena down my elevators lock up.

We used three radios a 9303 on 17,a futaba on 53 and my futaba on 40 at home.When these anttenas were extended and my 8103 collapsed I effectively lost range .Even with a new synthesized module or my original module on 16 my elevator channel would lock up.I origianlly thought it was my module so I purchased the new synth module.But still no luck.I may have to send the radio in and get it looked at.

Thanks for the quick reply

ORIGINAL: dsnyder

No, that should not happen unless the other TX's are splattering over onto other channels. Do you get an acceptable range check without anyone on?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1079
Old 07-06-2006, 06:08 PM
tauscnc

9303 manual says 60-75 feet range check but the Horizon site says

Minimums:
Engine off: 175 feet (60 paces)
Engine running: 150 feet (50 paces)

I am surprised to see my brand new 9303 with 770s PCM and R2100 RX gets about the 80 feet before locking up on the ground.
My hitec supreme RX FM goes for almost 200.

Which is right?

thanks
taus
Old 07-10-2006, 10:08 AM
dsnyder

I always go with the 50-60 paces as a minumum. If you get less than this, there is a set up problem, noise problem in the area, etc.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:15 AM
airbusmech

O/K HERE GOES,

Just got my radio back from Horizon.Great bunch of people,great service fast response.They found nothing wrong with the tx,new module or reciever.Shipped me some other crystals on other channels.I tried it on different airplanes with the same result.This is really bothering me.With any other transmitter & antenna extended on near my airpalne I cannot get more than 20 feet away with my anntena down and controls locking up.This is weird.If I pull my antenna out a few inches at a time my range efectively gets better.Maybe it's just me.I run all my reciever antennas outside from my Funtana to my 1/4 scale cub.Maybe this is normal?If I can range check with no one on should I fly?

Sorry for sounding long winded.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:56 AM
dsnyder

You shouldn't range test with someone else between you and the airplane. With your antenna down and someone with another radio system on near the plane will alter the range test. No doubt when you raise your antenna the range would increase.