JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Danny - Some help please...

Old 01-02-2003, 03:04 AM
Raintown
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Danny - Some help please...

Danny
I have 3 questions I'd like your help with.

(1) I just bought a new R950S 10 channel PCM receiver. I notice that JR's latest version of this receiver is now the "PR955". Would you let me know what the difference is? I plan to put the R950S in a rather expensive plane & need to know it's going to be a soild problem free receiver.

(2) I have a Dave Patrick 40 size Ultimate bipe that I'd like to outfit with 9011 servos that I have on hand. It'll be powered by a YS 63 engine. Will the nylon gears hold up to this plane? The tail surfaces are kinda large which is where my concern comes to play.

(3) I bought a new but discontinued JR NEB-480 Model Beacon. The instructions state it should only be used with 4.8-volt systems, however I'd like to use it on a voltage regulated 6-volt system (either 5.5 or 5.2 volts). It seems to me that it would be ok since a freshly peaked 4.8-volt battery is putting out over 5-volts, but I'd like your opinion.

Thanks very much for your help.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:32 PM
dsnyder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Danny - Some help please...

1) The 955 is a newer design and therefore will perform slightly better, but the 950 has been around for some time and has a very good track record.

2) This is a tough question to answer. The weight of the surface, flight speeds are all factors. My guess would be that the gear set should hold up to the flight loads, but travel bumps may strip out the gears. This all depends on how the plane is flown, and that the speed of the plane does not get excessive.

3) As you said, it's designed for 4.8 volts. It depends on what you want it for. If it's for the model beacon part (find the model when it's lost) it'll probably work. But if you want it to tell you when the voltage is low, it's definitely not going to work. (The NEB-480 speeds up audible pulses as voltage gets lower. By the time it gets to the pre-programmed voltage points with your 6 volt regulated system, the batteries will be dumping very fast and your batteries will be out of juice.)