JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

33% plane one reciever?

Old 01-06-2003, 03:36 PM
tombob
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 33% plane one reciever?

My question is about one recv. futaba brand pcm 8ch. 8ea. jr8411 servo's and one standard servo for throttle. I'll have two batteries at 2700mah plugged into receiver and 4ea. switchs. Am i pushing the receiver to hard ? thanks TomBob
Old 01-06-2003, 03:57 PM
dsnyder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You would need to contact futaba for more information on that to be sure. On one receiver, if all 8 of the servos stall at the same time, which is not too likely, you could have current drop outs. I have had planes with more than 8 servos off of one receiver wihtout any problems, but you need to contact futaba for their recommendations.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:56 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: 33% plane one reciever?

Originally posted by tombob
My question is about one recv. futaba brand pcm 8ch. 8ea. jr8411 servo's and one standard servo for throttle. I'll have two batteries at 2700mah plugged into receiver and 4ea. switchs. Am i pushing the receiver to hard ? thanks TomBob
On a 33% plane, 1 receiver with dual batteries and switches is pretty much standard configuration. Very reliable setup.

If you stick with matching the number of servos to the number of channels, you wouln't run the receiver too hard. 8 digitals and a standard servo on a 8 channel receiver should be fine. There is no need to go with dual receivers unless you want the added redundancy it can provide.

The biggest issue you will face with a single receiver and too many servos will be voltage loss under high current conditions. The best way to counter this is to use 22ga wiring, eliminate as many Y's and connectors as possible, use 5 cell packs, and make all wiring to exact lengths. Use high quality heavy duty switches with wiper contacts and double poles for redundancy (I use the JR HD charge switch, but there are others). This will solve any low voltage issues, as you start with 1.2 volts higher, and have eliminated the majority of the voltage thieves.

Dual batteries is a good option, and will really increase the reliability of the whole system. But, out of curiosity, why 4 switches? If either switch fails, you won't even know it while in the air. Yet, it will be discovered in your next pre-flight check. Even with only 2 switches, you would need both of them to fail on the same flight to loose the aircraft. Very very unlikely.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:45 AM
tombob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default thanks

I want to thank you guy's for your time and info. I will be using one switch per battery , on the radio gear. I'm going to use two switch's on the ignition battery. thanks again. :spinnyeye TomBob
Old 01-07-2003, 04:03 AM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Two switches on the battery? I assume that means two batteries on it as well? Now youre just adding unnessesary weight...
Old 01-07-2003, 01:52 PM
tombob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default battery

No my plan is to have only one ignition battery, two leads at the battery going to two different switch's. My logic is , i have never had a battery fail ,as i normally change them every two years,but i think weakest link are the switch's. I have had switch's fail. I do'nt like the thought of a $3000 plus plane hovering on one $20 switch. :idea: TomBob
Old 01-07-2003, 06:40 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: battery

Originally posted by tombob
No my plan is to have only one ignition battery, two leads at the battery going to two different switch's. My logic is , i have never had a battery fail ,as i normally change them every two years,but i think weakest link are the switch's. I have had switch's fail. I do'nt like the thought of a $3000 plus plane hovering on one $20 switch. :idea: TomBob
There is nothing wrong with that idea at all. If a switch failure bothers you, the dual switches will indeed solve that problem, and give you inner peace

By the way, use a high quality heavy duty switch like the JR charge jack. I've opened up a few of them now, and its the one I like best. I haven't see the inside of the Futaba heady duty switch, but it looks very similar on the outside. Don't use the standard switches unless you open them up and look. What you would find may scare you.

$20 and an extra ounce is cheap insurance.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:16 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You want to use a HD JR chargeswitch. The PowerfLIte switch is also very good, and assembled even better. It also has a guard on the switch to keep you from accidentally turning it on. Two of these and a good battery, and you'll never have a problem with electrical engine failures!
Old 01-11-2003, 02:01 AM
tombob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default thank's for the help

Thank's for the help guy's,this is my first 33% plane ,but i have done many 25% plane's Thank's again. :idea: TomBob