Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Switching Crystals

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Aggie-Pilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching Crystals

I would like for somebody to clarify the legality of switching crystals in a transmitter. I have heard from several people that it is not legal to change the crystal in a transmitter without having it re-tuned. I have also heard from several people, including the staff at my LHS, that it is ok to change the crystals as long as you stay within approx. 5 channels above or below the transmitters designated channel.

Also, it sounds as though switching the crystals without having the transmitter retuned is a generally accepted practice. Does the AMA have any thoughts on this?

Your help would be appreciated.

Keith
Old 01-08-2003, 02:38 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FCC has regulations against changing the frequency of a transmitter except when performed by an authorized service ceter. They do need to be sent in for changing the frequency.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:52 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Danny

Aside of the regulation, is there anything that would be detrimental about changing the Tx Xstal to any channel other than the one that it was originally supplied with ?

I have asked this question before regarding the Rx and was told by your staff that you can change to any 72Mhz Xstal without any concerns.

Does the same apply in principal with the Tx ?
Old 01-08-2003, 07:56 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There may or may not be any problems caused by changing the crystal in a TX, this is the reason for the FCC law. New receivers when they leave here are tuned to the center of the band, and you can put any crystal in the band and be set. It is a good idea to have them checked over from time to time anyway though, so if you are going to change the crystal, it is a good time to send in for a check up.