Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Synthesizer Modual

Old 09-02-2006, 02:27 PM
papion007
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthesizer Modual

Do you know where I can get a synthesizer modual for my JRPROPO Century VII PCM TX..??

Pappy
Old 09-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Synthesizer Modual

Pappy,

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRPTXMS

$100

will get a the only synth module offered by JR. It will then only work the RX's that you have on the crystals you already have. So there is not really any reason. The new JR 7ch Synth RX is like $80. Reality is that radio you have is well over 20years old and the new Synth module may or may not work in it due to its age. JR released the synth module last year or so and its a current product. The problem you will really have is there are no new RX's that you can use PCM with that system. The PCM is the old original PCM JR offered and its not as good as todays 1024 system both in resolution and rejection of interference. Its really old all be it a good system for its day. Another thing to look at is the Batteries in the Century system. If they are old and original they are no good today for sure. The avergae life of the battery pack is just a few years before it stops performing to spec and will not hold a charge for a long enough time. A new TX battery can be $30-40 and new RX's packs can range from $15 to 35 each depending on capacity.

The New JR 7202 ($320) blows it away in the feature department and is current. It already comes synth both TX and RX will work for many years to come with current level RX's

The JR6102 is a 6channel system and it has more and better features than the Century7 and its only $250 new. It will work PCM or FM RX"s

JR has been very good over the years at keeping things backwards compadible but my personal opinion is 20 some years is asking a bit much. I think while not sure the Century 7 systems were in their prime about 1982-1986
In the world of todays systems that is a model T.

Its cool to use vintage stuff, but look at it this way. Your model's life and possibly the lives and property of others around where you fly could be at risk. I have an old Galaxy 8 system that came in after the Century systems and while its flyable I don't use it. My 9303 and 10X are what I trust my models to these days. Perhaps a small park flyer or foamy would be OK but then the RX's are not small and light like todays. I understand the PPM (FM stuff) might work in that older system but not sure.

My advice would be to save the $100 and put it toward a newer system. I would hate to see you upgrade a system to be "current" when no matter what you do its not going to be current. At a minimum a checkup at Horizon should be done on the system and that's another $35plus. So already you are looking at $150 to 200 to upgrade a system then add in a newer RX that's synth and you have another $80 so you are spending in the range of $200-300 on a system just to use the same stuff that already come with a brand new system for just over $300 and as shown by that centruy system can give you 20years of service.

Just some advice from old modeler that has seen time and again a guy get and engine for $30 and then spend hundreds even thousands of $$$ to get a model to go with it that he would have never purchased or build before.

Its like the commercial where the lady hands an architect a faucet and says I want a house designed around this!

Allen
Old 09-04-2006, 11:44 PM
T-one

AAM1024

Just some comments about the older stuff.
I have Century VII single and 2 stk models as well as PCM 9's in S/S. And I trust them more so than the fancy computer radios of today regardless of make. What I really enjoy is the manual feel of the TX's in setting trims, etc. It might take a few minutes to make adjusments thru the back of the TX. But I don't have to worry about a screen going dead or trying to see it in brad daylight.
I will keep my old stuff as long as I can. I can remember when we only had AM and when set up propeerly it worked. The more one adds, the more things to fail. my opinion.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:52 PM
papion007
My Feedback: (19)

Many Thanks ya'll...Allen is probably right.Bill-o makes sence also....hhmmmmm delima.
Ya'll take care now ya hear.
Pappy