Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

R700 Receiver Lock Out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 10:37 PM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R700 Receiver Lock Out?

Hi Danny, went flying this morning.

On the second flight on one of my planes, the plane suddenly became unresponsive, went into a flat spin and crashed. On reaching the downed plane, I saw that the JR R700 receiver had frozen up; i.e. was unresponsive to any input from the transmitter. However, once I turned the receiver pack switch off then on again, everything went back to normal and all seemed well.

What would cause the receiver to do this?

Would a spike in the input voltage cause this? I was using a voltage regulated Lipo receiver pack. I've never had any problems with the setup in any of my planes, and it still had a good charge on it. However, I suppose it is conceivable that the IC chip on the regulator became over loaded from the 5 servos on board and the output voltage became momentarily unstable? Would input voltage fluctuation cause the receiver to fail like this? I was actually about to line up for a landing approach when the failure occured, so current draw by the servos would likely be far less than when I was in aerobatic flight.

Hitherto, the receiver had been faultless and utterly reliable; now I'm a little scared to use it or another R700 I have, even though both appear to perfrom faultlessly on the ground. For the time being, I'm swapping out the other R700 on another plane for an R770 to keep flying. Hopefully, you will be able to shed some light as to the possible cause of problem. Would hate to crash another plane like this....
Old 09-08-2006, 08:45 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: R700 Receiver Lock Out?

Sorry to hear of the loss of the aircraft. It sounds like you may have had a regulator thermal shut down caused by overloading the regulator. Turning the power off and back on may have reset the regulator. So the problem may have nothing to do with the receiver. It may be a good idea to send in the receiver for a check up, especially after being in the crash, just to make sure it is operating properly.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:04 PM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks Danny. Fortunately, I managed to resurrect the plane with some fibreglass, epoxy and CA. Not as pretty but still flies reasonably well.

I've also flown the same receiver and it seems ok. So, yes, I think the problem lies with the regulator. Any idea why the throws were deflected to maximum when the receiver shut down?
Old 09-11-2006, 09:28 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since there isn't a battery failsafe in the receiver, any number of possibilities could have happened with regard to servo position at the time of power loss, including going to full defelection.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Piet Le Roux

If the regulator went into current limiting, there must have been a fault in the receiver and this would not just go away then switched off and on. My guess is the switch, it probably got oxidized causing a hi resistance, when you switched it on and off the oxidation got scraped off and it worked again.