Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Base-loaded Antennas

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:43 PM
aviationinfo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base-loaded Antennas

Hi Danny:

I wanted to get your thoughts on using a Dean's mini base-loaded receiver antenna, in general. I've used them in the past on various FM / PCM receivers but am now wanting to use one on a 33% gasser. It has been no problem in the past and in fact I prefer them because they're easy to hide, but I'm not sure about using them on the gasoline-engined plane.

I've never suffered any loss of range in previous installations.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:08 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Base-loaded Antennas

Personally I always use the stock antenna. The goal with base loaded antennas is to not loose range, but that does not always happen. In some limited applications it is sometimes possible that base loaded antennas can be moved away from noise generating devices like pumps, engines, etc and away from composities and metals, and can sometimes perform better in those less than ideal set ups. But for the majority of models, it is best to use the stock antenna as is without any mods. If you do so, as always, be sure to range test to assure proper performance.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:13 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Danny I have been useing a base load that was sold by Jr for years without ant problems. Dennis
Old 10-13-2006, 09:19 AM
dsnyder

JR hasn't had one for the aircraft/model itself that I'm aware of. They have one for the TX, however the same applies to it, the goal is to not loose range over the stock set up, but in some cases, some range is lost.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:08 AM
aviationinfo
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks Danny!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:28 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Do you have an idea how much range is lost. My antenna came fromJr it's beem over 10 years since I got it. I have noticed that they are not offered for sale for some time now. Mine fits my 10x perfectly. Ay one time they had a adapter that you could get to use on 788 so you could use the base load. Dennis
Old 10-17-2006, 08:24 AM
dsnyder

I don't have any data on any potential range lost, there are too many variables to really get a number on that, since it will vary depending on the area, the model, etc. The base loaded TX antennas are still available.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...se+load&CatId=