Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX-7 Defect

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 09:49 PM
rotskijw
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DX-7 Defect

You state that FM radios never loose connection, well I am here to tell you they do. I was flying my stick, right in front of me, when it took a dive to the ground and at the last minute I was able to gain contol. No one at the field was on the same Freq as I was. Also not ever cordless phone runs on 2.4 GHZ as the Spectrum does. Well all have are own opinions abot things. I have talked to many guys that have used the Spectrum system and love it.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:32 PM
waydar

An update on my DX 7. As you read I sent my DX7 system complete back to Horizon. I rec'd a new system back. I have it installed in 2 of my planes. The DX 7 has preformed perfectly without a glitch or bobble. I have really been enjoying flying with the new system. It's much more responsive then my 9303 and faster on the sticks.

Some of you have had trouble getting the receivers to bind....make sure you are connecting the battery to the rec'vr correctly. The black wire goes to the outside of the rec'vr. A local flying buddy had the problem and called Horizon, they said to send it back. Before he sent it, he discovered his mistake and reversed the batt wire and put the black wire outside. No problem binding and is flying very happy now.

I called tech support at Horizon and talked at length with them about the DX7. They said it didn't matter what direction the antenna's were as long as they were 90° to each other. I mounted mine as was suggested by several on this group, one pair horizonal, and one pair vertical. No problems at all.

The DX 7 is the wave of the future, catch it and enjoy not having a freq. pin. and having to wait for a clear channel.
DX 7 rocks.

waydar
Old 01-13-2007, 01:53 AM
thumbdumb
Banned

Well,after hearing waydars luck with his dx-7 i decided to try mine again.After a few minutes of flying i saw a horse running across the field and it stopped and looked me right in the eye (it was that mustang again)and then charged right at me,well i froze like a deer in headlights,i couldn't move ,it ran right into me knocking me off my feet unconscience.i was alone at the field and when i woke up i realized the dx-7 had given me CPR,thats right,mouth to mouth and fibrillated me.This thing saved my life,its the greatest thing ever created.And on the 8th day he said (let there be spectrum!!!)
Old 01-19-2007, 10:35 AM
flyalot
My Feedback: (63)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I bought my DX7 last month. I have read all forums pertaining to this system. My specific complaint is with the supplied 50mah charger. It will take 30 hours to fully charge the Transmitter batt. and 22 hours for the receiver batt. This is unsatisfactory.
The JR XP7202 has the same battery setup as the DX7 , but , comes with a 110mah charger
(AD35M305). Where,how ,can I get one , either as a direct exchange or outright purchase?
The DX7 manual , on page 10, states that a 110mah charger is supplied with the system.
I am installing the system in a Seagull Edge 540 and won't be flying till spring.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:48 AM
kolarshooter
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: flyalot

Hi, I bought my DX7 last month. I have read all forums pertaining to this system. My specific complaint is with the supplied 50mah charger. It will take 30 hours to fully charge the Transmitter batt. and 22 hours for the receiver batt. This is unsatisfactory.
The JR XP7202 has the same battery setup as the DX7 , but , comes with a 110mah charger
(AD35M305). Where,how ,can I get one , either as a direct exchange or outright purchase?
The DX7 manual , on page 10, states that a 110mah charger is supplied with the system.
I am installing the system in a Seagull Edge 540 and won't be flying till spring.
You didn't read all the forums. This has been addressed many times.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Passion

I had a terrible experience testing my Spectrum DX7 when using it the first time yesterday. I had the AR7000 reciever connected to my Extra 300 from Extreme flight.

I did a range check prior flying at a distance of 90 feet and held the binding button and the reception was good. On the first flight everything seemed to be perfect.

On my second flight while I was flying the extra at straight level about 15 meters above the ground the plane started rolling to the right so I tried to level it however no response at all and it felt like interference or like the transmitter was off.

The Extra ended up crashing on the runway. It took about 5 to 6 seconds for the Extra to crash from the time it started automatically rolling and during that whole time there was nil response from the trasmitter to reciever.

My power setup on the Extra is as follows:

- Torque motor
- Torque ESC 35
- Hyperion 3s 2100 mah Lipo that was fully charged and checked after crash to be holding a voltage of 12.21
- The reciever AR 7000 was perfectly setup as mentioned in the manual with 6" gap between the primary and secondary reciever in a perpendicular position to each other
- 4 Hitec HS-65 servos that are fully functional and properly connected to the reciever.
- The Extra was perfectly balanced and flown over 50 flights with the JR PCM 9x and JR R770s reciever with no problems.

Considering the fact that everything in the plane was setup and hooked properly and prechecked before flight, binding process was done twice once when model name was entered and again after setting up the throws and also that I was on a close range to the Extra when the terrible incidence happened it leaves me with no option but to believe there is a defect in the DX7 Transmitter or the AR 7000 reciever.

I am totally disapointed and confused thinking that the Spektrum would have solved all of my interference problems and now I am faced with a problem that I never faced before using JR PCM 9x.

I wonder if anybody has faced a similar problem with the DX7 and could advise me of the cause and solution of the problem.

The only other possibility of the problem I could think of is that AR7000 put more load on the esc which caused total shutdown. I've never used a seperate BEC for the JR reciever and expected the same setup with the AR7000

Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 PM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

There are so many things that could have happened, immediately blaming the radio makes no sense. The BEC could have failed, a plug could have came loose, the ESC could have overheated and gone into shutdown, a servo could have failed and shorted it all out, etc etc etc. You really need to do some troubleshooting, there's more to failures than a single component. More info is needed to troubleshoot the problem, but why jump right to blaming the DX7?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Passion

ncrego,

Please do not misunderstand me. I have read a lot about the Spektrum before buying it and I know a lot of testing has been done prior releasing it to the market. I think the Spektrum is the greatest thing that happened to RC flying. However I had a crash that happened only when I installed the AR7000 reciever instead of JR R770s and nothing else changed in the plane. After the crash the battery, servos, ESC and connections were checked and everything was fine.

I am trying to resolve the problem instead of pointing any fingers on Spektrum. I definately do not want to have the same experience again.

The reason for posting my thread on RC Universe is to help me find a solution for the problem.
It is very possible that there was a defect in my transmitter or reciever and it has happened with other people as mentioned in this forum. It could also be that AR7000 is not as compatible with all esc's as JR reciever. Another possibility is that the AR7000 needs a seperate battery(which was not needed with JR R770s) due to higher load on the ESC.

As I mentioned after the crash all other components were fine and have been tested in more than 50 flights prior installing the AR7000. So since the crash happened only on my second flight after switching to Spektrum then logically I would guess that either there is a defect or incompatibility with the ESC.

If the cause was a defect than these things happen with all manufacturers. Anyways I will test the same reciver and transmitter on another model and see the results. However the problem could be that the esc did not deliver enough voltage to the AR7000 which caused a total shutdown which is my real concern since I did not incurr this problem with the JR R770S.

I would be greatful if I could get some feedback from someone who has a similar setup and advice me if I would be needing a seperate battery with regulator for the AR7000. If the failure was from not using a seperate battery for the reciever than I would also want to know why this was not an issue with my previuos setup with JR.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:48 PM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

I saw your post over on RC Groups, it sounds like Vasntasstic over there pretty much nailed it.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Warren H. Fox
My Feedback: (1)

I had a momentary loss of control while in a down line - when I went to do a + snap nothing happened and my heart jumped into my throat! The plane ( QQ 102" YAK) then responded to up elevator and I landed with no further problem. I haven't flown since. I will call Horizon and see what gives.

Warren
Old 05-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Jumpnjoe

Passion, are you still around? If so, what did you ever find out? Same thing just happened to me with my 3DHobbyShop's Extra 300 SHP. Here's my setup, which closely resembles yours:
Torque 2818/900
Airboss 45A Elite ESC (with 2amp BEC, rated for upto 5 cells)
ThunderPower Extreme 3cell (25C) 2200
4 HS65(HB) servos

The only differences in our flights were mine was the 1st flight of the day (5 previous flights, no problems) and I was in a shallow banking turn when it darted to the ground, no response to my inputs. When I got to it, nothing was working, so I rebooted everything and all components seem fine (total loss on my Extra though).

I was just wondering if you ever figured it out? We have a lot of the same components.

Or if he's not around, NCREGO, could you pass me a link to that other post (Vasntasstic)? I couldn't find it.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:26 PM
fx777

I posted the following to 2 other threads. I loved flying the Pulse XT with the DX7, but hesitate to install in my new Aeroworks 540T after reading of similar problems from other users:

I have been flying with a DX7 for several months. Today, with a fully charged battery, I took my first flight of the day and after several circuits around the field, with the Pulse XT trimmed out perfectly, the plane stopped responding and flew off in level flight toward a nearby highway. Fortunately it ran into an exit ramp embankment before it could hit a vehicle. After recovering the destroyed plane, I checked the 4.8 volt reciever battery and it read 5.18 Volts. I don't believe this is a battery issue.

Another issue I have noticed is that my Stic sometimes does not recognize the DX7 signal when I first turn the receiver on; requiring me to turn the receiver off and then turning it on a second time. This did not occur on the Pulse.

Another, probably unrelated issue occured with a new receiver I recently purchased which has one channel (aileron) which would not work.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:55 AM
caltrop

I'm not using a DX7 again. I don't trust it after my CRASH!

Check these URLs:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_57...tm.htm#5919923

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...re#post7072197
Old 05-30-2007, 02:54 AM
kgfly

ORIGINAL: Jumpnjoe

Passion, are you still around? If so, what did you ever find out? Same thing just happened to me with my 3DHobbyShop's Extra 300 SHP. Here's my setup, which closely resembles yours:
Torque 2818/900
Airboss 45A Elite ESC (with 2amp BEC, rated for upto 5 cells)
ThunderPower Extreme 3cell (25C) 2200
4 HS65(HB) servos
Sorry for your loss.

Most probable cause is BEC overload. You have 2A linear BEC driving 4 HS65 servos on a medium size acrobat with large control surfaces. HS65 are rated at 400ma (@4.8V) operating at no load. Easily double or triple under load. Wouldn't take much to push the ESC to thermal shutdown, particularly on a hot day.

One thing we know for sure is that microprocessor-based Rx are far less tolerant of voltage dips. I have no doubt your BEC checked out OK post-crash, it had ages to cool down and was under almost no load. Time and time again reports of Spektrum control failures have been tracked down to power supply problems that were masked/tolerated by FM Rx but not by the Spektrum Rx. A brief shutdown on the FM Rx may not be noticed or might be felt as a glitch. Even a sub-second shutdown will cause the Spektrum Rx to reboot and then scan to reacquire the Tx, a process that takes seconds. Is this a downside to Spektrum Rx ? Definitely. You have to decide whether the advantage of flying Spektrum outweigh the disadvantage of having to provide a more robust Rx power supply.

My bet is that your radio was fine but in a plane like that a 3A switched-mode BEC would be a good idea.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:37 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here again, this thread is also being closed down as this forum is not for open discussion.