Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

my experience with JR Txs

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 03:02 AM
teamevan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my experience with JR Txs

to all JR fans and direct support (Danny). . .
i have just had my SECOND JR transmitter die on me. It is not reversed polarity, spilled gas, dust, rough use, dropping, or any mis-use or improper tear down. I have a double major in electronic engineering and aeronautical science from MTSU. . . i know electronics. After the system that i threaded about earlier would not even turn on (yes i checked the battery and it was charged) after it just sat on the counter with no interruptions awaiting replies, I unscrewed the back cover for the first time to take a look at the electrical and circuitry work. I gave the circuitry a B+ to A- and the wiring an A+. The actual work is not bad. This is where the problem occurred: the processor and the bottom circuit board! What?! I inspected the entire set up from solder to solder and wire to wire. there was not a single short or bare wire. After i traced the ENTIRE SYSTEM i have to blame it on FRED (that's what i call every specialized computer system. . . fred is always confused) This is not a cop-out on my knowledge of system interface this was/is the problem. I then opened the back of the first JR that went out on me (that is another 6102) and i found the same problem. While i believe JR makes excellent quality radio systems and great servos i will no longer use their transmitters. I guess i will take your advise, Danny whether to send it in or not, but either way i am truly disappointed in the TX's. JR gets a lot of stuff right, but unfortunately my experience with the TX (only) has given me 2 black eyes. I never sent the first one in just thinking it was a glitch and didn't care to pay for shipping and the time i would miss out on flying so i don't know what to do with the second one either.

Q) what brand of TX can i use with JR recievers and servos ect. . . ?

this is not ment to discourage anyone from JR, it is just an example of one guy's troubles. Why cant i win a one in a million draw one something like the lottery, right? Dumb luck i guess.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:15 AM
alan0899

Default RE: my experience with JR Txs

G'day Mate,
After all that typeing, did you check the fuse?
Old 12-29-2006, 03:19 AM
teamevan

OH THE FUSE. . . I DIDNT THINK OF THAT, I . . . just kidding. Yeah, it was good and at the right amps as well. I tested both of them.
good thought though.

The way those fuses are set is interesting, they WILL NOT protect against polarity the way they are wired, In fact i dont even think they will blow with opposite polarity! I can see some things that would trip it but it is not many circumstances.

ps. any thought on other TXs to use with my JR reciever gear?
Old 12-29-2006, 03:36 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
Nope sorry have been using JR since 1981, satrted with 4 channel, the 6, in 82, then X378 in 2003.
Why not check out the Spektrun DX7.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 AM
skiman762

I beleive there's another small battery inside the case somewhere not sure if it would cause the problems your having I think it only holds the memery while the tx is turned off you might check it if you haven't already
I have had the 6102 for a few years now and it has never let me down
Let jr look at it can't hurt if it's dead anyway

Old 12-29-2006, 09:12 AM
teamevan

the battery you speak of is the memory battery, you are correct. I did double check both and they both where charged. JR claims they will last about 5 years. I think that is true. IF it does die there is no open current that would not allow the TX to not turn on or for the screen not to work. Good thought tho

thanks
Old 12-29-2006, 09:29 AM
skiman762

well on the bright side it didn't crap out when you had your pride and joy in the air
Old 12-29-2006, 09:51 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lithium battery only stores the memory, if it were to go dead the system will turn on, but the memory will be lost. I'd recommend sending the system in for service.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Content/...rchecklist.pdf
Old 12-29-2006, 09:54 AM
skiman762

I thought that was the case with the other battery
One last thought I'm sure you checked is the power switch continuity
Old 01-20-2007, 09:42 AM
CrocEnd

I have FIVE JR Tx's or sets what ever you want to call them as,all still work.
I built my first Tx single channel in the mid to late 60's.Next OS Pixie,2 .. OS 8 channel reed,3 .. JR Glint 4ch.,4 ..Apex 8ch. Now computer type Tx's Apex 8ch., the first comp., radio on the market I BELIVE. 2 ..3810. 3 .. 3930.
The Ossie #'s and names vary from around the world.
Like I said ALL still work.
Cheer's
Old 01-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Bobby Folsom

Danny, when one ships their TX back to Horizon for service, do we put the TX in the aluminun case and put than back in the boxes or do they proved a smaller box if we ask?

Thanks,

Bobby
Old 01-29-2007, 10:14 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what you are asking, but it is recommended to double box anything set in and pack carefully to prevent damage to the system in transit.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Bobby Folsom

Thanks Danny. I think I still have the boxes the system came in so when i have to send in my 10X for battery replacement I should be in good shape.

Bobby