Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

8103 Flight Switching.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 09:49 AM
DavidO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8103 Flight Switching.

During a F3b flight routine I start with Launch Phase then switch into Normal Phase and finally switch into a Landing Phase.
I have looked through the manual and can't find any reference of getting this sequence.

Can the 8103 be programed to give me this facility and if so, how ?
Old 02-13-2003, 02:13 PM
stumper

the 8103 offers all this & more..

launch pre-set, as well as reflexed, and neutral wing configurations is driven by a a 3 position switch over the left stick.

thermal (camber) and landing modes both operate from the left stick..

everything is pretty well covered at the back of the glider section in the "practical applications" section..

then there's the JR guys on RC Universe
Old 02-13-2003, 09:12 PM
DavidO

Thanks stumper, I hadn't interpreted that section as being able to deliver three flight phases.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:24 AM
stumper

I'll be happy to help with any particular sailplane programming issues..
Old 02-14-2003, 10:41 AM
DavidO

I accept your offer stumper, thank you.

I have set the transmitter as per text - now grasped the ethos of this set. Yes it does work, but the transition from one phase into the other has my model ducking and diving erratically True phase change would have a time function applied to the transition, preventing sudden flight attitude changes when going from normal flight/cruise to landing mode.

I'm also at a loss to see how we can overcome my second problem. I have an electric glider which has the same servo setup as the F3b glider but has an electric motor controlled through a speed controller. How can I obtain motor control and crow/butterfly from the one stick ?

I hope Danny does not mind using his forum to solve this one.
DavidO
Old 02-14-2003, 04:31 PM
stumper

this is a bit long

you mention:

>>but the transition from one phase into the other has my model ducking and diving erratically
Old 02-14-2003, 06:33 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stumper is actually helping me out on this one, I'm not well versed on sailplane programming but he certainly is!
Old 02-14-2003, 06:41 PM
stumper

to the other question:

>>I'm also at a loss to see how we can overcome my second problem. I have an electric glider which has the same servo setup as the F3b glider but has an electric motor controlled through a speed controller. How can I obtain motor control and crow/butterfly from the one stick ?
Old 02-14-2003, 07:53 PM
DavidO

That's great I'll give it a try at the weekend.

I need the proporional control to start the motor slowly and prevent a sudden rush of power winding the prop off the motor pinion.
Maybe I could use a Soft Start switch located on the back of the motor operated from the transmitter switch #8 as you suggest.

Hmmm......It's starting to look bright again !

Thanks Danny and thank you again Stumper.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Whizwaz

This is along these lines:
I fly electric sailplanes, in particular, F5B/F/J.
These planes require crow, camber, reflex, etc like a full-house sailplane. They also need motor control. Motor control only need to be on/off, not variable.

I was flying "brand F" but made the change to JR. I figured out all the other stuff, except for a way to control the throttle.
* Using the throttle still operates when crow is engaged. Not a good idea to have the motor turn on during approach: it should be off, and stay off.
* Using Aux3 operates from the crow switch, and no way to disable/designate a totally off selection. (crow live, motor on, or crow off, motor live.)
* I also tried to use a mixing function, but could only get travel fron neutral to one end point.

What I would prefer is to have control of the motor (on/off) from the trainer switch, and have a timer on when motor is on, and off when motor is off. When dealing with short run times, it's nice to have an alarm to let you know when there is only one more "pull" left. -- John P
Old 02-20-2003, 11:25 PM
DavidO

Thanks for all your inputs on this one, I need a little more time flying time with this setup to decide if I can live with an electric motor existing in either off or on, kinda makes my speed control redundant.
On a fast landing approach I'm still trying to effect a smooth transition (varying amounts of deflection). If I'm short for landing then I need motor, switching it on even briefly, has unwound the prop hub assay'.
More experimentation I think, followed by more questions.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Whizwaz

Well, I figured it out. I ended up mixing AUX2 to the throttle channel. Throwing the mixing switch drives the servo/esc to the opposite end of the throw. Just remember to leave the AUX2 knob along.
To disable the stick so it won't control the servo/ESC, I mixed it to itself at -100%. Now it won't operate.
It is a bit of work, but I now have control of the ESC they way I want. -- John Palmer