Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

9303 not sending inputs

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 05:39 PM
tjfdownsouth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9303 not sending inputs

I have a 9303 that I bought at Christmas and over the last three weeks I thought I had been getting hit with interference. While flying my plane it would just stop responding for a few seconds. Yesterday while setting up my helicopter I noticed that while moving the sticks it would stop doing what I was telling it. On my FM receiver if I turn the tx off everthing will start twitching and then when I turn it on the twitching will stop but nothing works. On my two PCM receivers nothing happens, when in control I can move the surfaces and then it will suddenly stop responding. I assume it is still getting a signal because the fail safe never turns on, all surfaces should return to center in fail safe but they just remain where they are and stop moving.

I guess my question is can I try some other test to determine the issue or do I just need to return it to Horizon Hobby.
Thanks,Tim
Old 03-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Mac_Man_UK

Default RE: 9303 not sending inputs

Have you tried the DSC test ? That way it will confirm that the receiver decoder is good and that the TX encoder is good.

Are you using a synth module or a crystal module, is the receiver a synth or crystal type ?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Wlouigene
My Feedback: (66)

You need to check if you are in the right modulation PPM or PCM.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:42 PM
tjfdownsouth

I am using a crystal and a system that was working no longer is. I did not think to test the dsc but I will.

Tim
Old 03-26-2007, 08:33 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In PCM the surfaces will only return to center if you have assigned the channels to fail safe rather than hold, and set the fail safe positions to center. As mentioned in other posts, be sure your modulation in your TX is set properly and that the channels match receiver and transmitter.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:14 AM
tjfdownsouth

This same system was working last week, I was flying my airplane when I first noticed the issue. I set the fail safe after the first glitch and tested it by turning the TX off, all surfaces returned to neutral and when I turned it back on went back to where they were supposed to be. I first noticed the problem because I was in a roll and when I stopped the plane kept rolling, I moved the the sticks all over the place and then all of a sudden the plane did a snap and I had control back.

This weekend the TX just quit working, neither the FM or PCM receiver do anything. I plugged in the dsc as Mac_Man_UK suggested but still have no control.

Would the TX module be the problem or do I need to send the whole TX in for service.

Tim
Old 03-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Mac_Man_UK

If the DSC isnt working then this would indicate the Tx itself is faulty. The signal is either routed to the DSC or to the Module and seeing that it doesnt seem to work either by RF or DSC then it points to the Tx.

However, are you using a known good working battery pack for the Rx ? If using a switch harness, have you tried going direct ? Sometime it is easy to overlook the obvious....

Make absolutely certain that all switches are in the "default" settings... I know that if you are in Heli mode and you have the flight mode switch set incorrectly then no data is actually transmitted. The UK / Worldwide sets usually give an audible alarm as a warning, not certain if thats common to the 9303 as well ( but would imagine it would be....)

But it is looking as if there is a fault on your 9303 which will require attention at Horizon.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:33 PM
tjfdownsouth

I have tried another receiver with the transmitter set on a new blank model and still nothing. No matter what I do there doesn't seem to be any control inputs coming from the Tx. I guess I will just send it off and see what Horizon has to say.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Tim
Old 03-26-2007, 09:15 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: tjfdownsouth

........... Yesterday while setting up my helicopter ...........
if you've left the TX on for extended periods without the antenna extended you've likely overheated the module and it's shot, it'll likely need replacing. NEVER use your flying module during setup unless you keep the antenna extended, or limit the TX on time to very short periods.

kc

Old 03-27-2007, 09:09 AM
tjfdownsouth

Danny is this overheating issue correct? If it is I need to change my setup routines because I use the transmitter for long periods setting up my planes and changing configurations and usually it is setting on the floor beside me with the antenna in.

Tim
Old 03-27-2007, 05:05 PM
blueline
My Feedback: (6)

Forgive my ignorance, what is the DSC test? If it matters I have a JR 9303, thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:27 PM
KC36330

DSC (direct servo connection) is a connection between the TX 'trainer port' and the charge jack on the plane (has to be a 3 wire charge jack). should be in your instructional book. it doesn't use the transmission portions of the module so IF it works with DSC then the module is the Likely problem.

kc
Old 03-28-2007, 08:18 AM
dsnyder

Setting up a model with the antenna down will cause heat build up in the module as stated as the power is not radiated from the antenna with the antenna down as well as when the antenna up. Heat build up over time in the module can weaken the output transister in the module which will weaken the output of the system.