Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

trainer/buddy box for spektrum

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:28 PM
ky1duck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trainer/buddy box for spektrum

i own a spektrum 7 and a JR SPORTâ„¢ SX600 6-channel and was woundering if i could use the sx600 as a slave(trainer) with my spek7 so i can teach my wife to fly. thanks

rob
Old 03-29-2007, 12:03 AM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: trainer/buddy box for spektrum

A JR system can be used as a buddy box with the DX7 (JR and Spektrum use the same cord and will work together in a trainer set up.) Also a Futaba system can be used as the slave system when using the Hangar 9 Trainerlink ([link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN173]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN173[/link]).

Either one of the rocker switches on the front face can be assigned as a trainer switch, and the output of the trainer/DSC jack is PPM.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:13 AM
jmurphy18

I would like to ask a question on this issue. I am new to planes, still building my trainer. I bought my DX 7 last weekend and I finished the manual last night. I am trying to understand the process here so help will be greatly apperiated. The lead instructor has a new JR 10 channel radio. I assume he would be the master and I would be the slave? I would connect to him through the D.S.C /Trainer port on the rear of the radio. Now on the modes, do I set the radio to Normal or Slave? [book says PMix for master pilot]
Thanks in advace

Old 05-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Master (Trainer) is the system installed on the aircraft that you are training on. If you have a spektrum system installed on your plane, your instructor will not be able to use his 10x on your airplane unless he has the new spektrum modules to conver his 72 Mhz 10x to 2.4 Ghz spektrum.

Now, based on the answers above, he should be able to use his radio as the Slave (trainee) radio. So you would be holding his radio and he would be holding yours during the training sessions.

Hope that clears your questions.

Rafael
Old 05-02-2007, 05:38 PM
jmurphy18

Thanks very much for the reply. I am away on travel so it's later in the day when I can view notes.
No he does not have a module for his. I know he uses a freq pin on his radio when he flys.
Thanks
Old 05-02-2007, 08:59 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He does not need a module of any kind to use his radio as a "trainer" or "slave" radio as it is NOT supposed to be turned "ON" or radiate an RF signal anyway.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Rafael23cc

bruce88123 :

Read my post again. HE DOES need a module to use the 10x as a MASTER! Don't jump the gun, and slow down while reading.

Rafael
Old 05-03-2007, 10:17 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And just where did I say that he didn't?

He also will NOT be using the the 10X as a master in his application so that is what I was addressing. Not some imaginary scenario.

Oh, I see YOUR confusion now.
"The Master (Trainer) is the system installed on the aircraft" .........Please refer to the "master" as the instructor and maybe you will be understood.

In my world, and everyone elses, the "trainer radio" and the "slave radio" are the same piece of equipment also known as "the buddy box" to some.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Rafael23cc

Bruce:

Forget about the master and the slave for now...

Are you trying to say that the 10x converted to 2.4 Ghz (via module) cannot control the spektrum receiver installed on the aircarft?

Now back to master and slave....

Please refer to the "master" as the instructor and maybe you will be understood.
I can't do that, because that is what caused the confusion on the guy asking the question on the first place. The MASTER is the system installed on the training aircraft, no argument about it. If the Instructor's radio is not compatible with the training aircraft system, then the instructor's radio IS NOT the master. The instructor will use the MASTER system to instruct the new pilot to fly. So if the plane and the radio belong to the new pilot, the new pilot will not be holding his own radio to learn to fly. The instructor will be holding the master system and the new pilot will be holding the slave system. Stay away from the generalization that the instructor owns the airplane.

the "trainer radio" and the "slave radio" are the same piece of equipment also known as "the buddy box" to some.
There is a big difference between the words "trainer" and "trainee". I used both words, you are caught up in semantics now.

Now that things are clear as mud, can we just go and fly?

Rafael
Old 05-03-2007, 08:15 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually did this in reverse. I have a JR478 as the master and the DX7 as the slave and most everything works except the digital trims on the DX& when used as a slave

Anyone have any thoughts on this
Old 04-12-2009, 01:47 AM
denpr05
My Feedback: (15)

I'm trying to use my DX6i as a master and my JR SX600 as the slave but cant get it to work. I have been told it can be done. Anyone know how?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:23 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The following link is to the manual for the SX600. Pg 11 just says that it is compatible with all JR radios that have a Trainer function. It just mentions that you connect the two Tx's with a Trainer Cord, and then leave the Slave Tx turned Off. This is important because if you turn the Power Switch On, for the Slave Tx, it is Transmitting on whatever channel the Slave is set to.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...600_manual.pdf

Trainer
The DX6i offers a Trainer function that allows the transmitter to operate as a master or slave. The trainer switch is
located on the back left of the transmitter.
MASTER
The transmitter can be used as a master but the slave transmitter must have the same programming (i.e. reverse,
travel adjust, dual rates, mixes, sub trims, etc.) as the master.
SLAVE MODE (CONVENTIONAL)
When using the transmitter as a slave with another DX6i it’s necessary to match all the programmable settings (i.e.
reverse, travel adjust, etc.).

The DX6i manual does not say much, on Pg 78, regarding the Trainer Function, other than the two Tx's must be the same.

I have not had the opportunity to use these two Tx's as Master and Slave so I would suggest calling Horizon, unless someone here has actually done it.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:51 PM
jnj55024

Hi all,

I have two DX7 transmitters and would like to use them on a Master/Slave type of training set up to help my daughter fly tomorrow.

The directions are quite vague on how to set this up. I have the Spektrum cord to connect them, I set the main/master transmitter that the plane is bound with to P-Link and the other one to Slave/P-link, I turn the main one on and let it connect to the plane, I plug the cord in which turns the slave radio on, hold down the trainer switch on the main transmitter and the slave radio doesn't do anything, the master still has control while holding the trainer switch??

I tried programming them identical and using the Normal mode on both radios and it still doesn't work.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I am out of ideas on how to get them together. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.