Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

9303 Choke safety

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 01:41 AM
lowflire4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9303 Choke safety

Danny,

I have my FIRST JR after over 25 years in RC .......

I want to set up a channel for choke and have it ONLY activate at or below a certain throttle setting when i flip a switch.

And not activate if i have the switch set to choke and move the throttle into that range, Only activate if throttle is in the range WHEN switch is flipped.

My Futaba 9C which ive recentely discovered is slow as the huills will do this easily and im convinced my 9303 is MORE radio.

Enlighten me please?

Also as bad as i think Futaba Manuals are ..... JR's are worse........ but i guess thats YOUR job security because after reading the manual i would NOT have bought a JR without THIS forum and you a JR person to talk to.

Thanks in Advance Dave

Old 05-04-2007, 08:38 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 9303 Choke safety

I guess the manual perception is dependant on each users opinion, but the manual covers all of the functions. What channels do you have open and what switch would you like to use? There are a few different possibilities for how this could be set up, but it would be best to know your set up.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:37 PM
lowflire4

Standard setup with 2 channels for ailerons otherwise plain jane.

Ch 5,7,8,and 9 are available for the choke.

I guess my perception is wrong.

Awaiting instructions.

Dave
Old 05-07-2007, 08:43 AM
dsnyder

There are quite a few options, but one would be to begin by setting the GEAR channel to INH in device select, then setting up a gear to gear program mix in mix 3 for example, then setting the THRO STK setting to the throttle stick position that you want it to be set to, then set both pos 0 values to 100%, then set one of the pos 1 values to 100%, and set the other to -100%. In this case the -100% value will be the one that the choke will close.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:39 PM
lowflire4

I knew how to do that, the safety issue is what im lost on.

Dave
Old 05-08-2007, 12:19 PM
dsnyder

I'm not sure I understand your question, that is the purpose of the mix I described, a combination of switch placement and throttle stick position is used to move the choke, that is what you asked for.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:27 PM
lowflire4

That covered the first part.

The safety issue: If the choke is on while flying ( above idle throttle ) the choke wouldnt be on, when starting to land and reducing the throttle the choke would turn on .... not good........

What i need is where the only way the choke turns on is if the switch is flipped WHILE at idle, If on above idle and going to idle the choke would not come on.

Thanks Dave
Old 05-09-2007, 08:53 AM
dsnyder

That is exactly what the mix I described would do. This mix I described would only come on when the switch is on (which you choose which way the switch is on) and the throttle is below the point you set.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:34 PM
lowflire4

I set the mix up exactly as you said.

When i have the throttle above idle and flip the switch the choke does NOT come on (correct) .... But if i leave the switch on and move the throttle down to idle the choke comes on. No Safety from killing the engine upon landing with the choke.

I will TRIPLE check to make sure just in case.

Dave
Old 05-10-2007, 09:07 AM
dsnyder

There should be only one way to get to the percentage of the mix where the choke will move, if the switch is in one position, and the throttle is below the position set. For instance, the way I have the mix set is set as follows,

Pos0 +100% in both values, Pos1 -100% as the top value and -100% in the bottom. My THRO STK is set to 34, and the mix is a gear to gear mix. The throttle stick determines if you are currently on the pos0 or pos1 values, and the switch determines if you are currently on the top or bottom value. So now with the throttle set below the '34' position, the system switches to the pos1 values, and the if the gear switch is towards me, the bottom value is highlighted and used, if the gear switch is away, the top position is used and in this case is the only combination that will cause anything to move.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:38 PM
lowflire4

Theres an unknow here, not sure who so ill start over cause it just dont work.

Radio 9303 Heli version
Acro mode
Model RESET
INH Gear sw in Dev Sel
progm mix 3 -- gear to gear -- Pos0 both +100, Pos1 +100 and bottom -100 -- Thro set to 34

If i have throttle above 34 and choke sw is ON the choke is NOT on, If i leave the choke sw on and pull the throttle down below 34 the choke comes on while im pulling it down..... during a landing that could be bad.

I hope this clears up any confusion, Im certinally confused.

Thanks for your patience, Dave
Old 05-11-2007, 08:32 AM
dsnyder

It sounds like you are wanting the choke servo to move only when you are on the ground regardless of any switch position, throttle position etc. In this mix, there are 2 conditions, if the switch is in the 'on' position, and the throttle is below the set point, the choke will be on. Otherwise it will not. You can swap positions of the switch if you want, by swapping the pos1 values, by setting the top to -100% and the bottom to +100%. But you can't have the mix not be active just because the airplane is not on the ground. If you don't want the choke to come on, leave the switch in the off position.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:41 PM
lowflire4

Im unaware of any reason a person would want any possibility of the choke coming on in the air, Enlighten me please.

So now your saying the radio wont do it safely?

Dave
Old 05-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im unaware of any reason a person would want any possibility of the choke coming on in the air, Enlighten me please.

So now your saying the radio wont do it safely?

Dave
Dude:

He's been trying to understand your request, now you're being a smart***** with your comments. [:@] The radio can only do what you program into it. The radio does not care if you have a choke or an aileron hooked up to the servo that it's supposed to move. If you flip the switch for the choke while the airplane it's in the air, there is only one person responsible for that.

By programming a switch AND telling it NOT to move UNLESS the throttle is at a certain position should be safe enough. The request of the safety in the air is way overkill.

I've been following this thread for a while and resisted the urge to drop in. But after comments like this on a person that has been trying to help, that's the feather that broke the camel's back.

Rafael
Old 05-11-2007, 06:58 PM
lowflire4

Misunderstand someone else.

Danny Im not being a smart ass, You should know things i dont, Thus "enlighten Me".
Old 05-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that I've taken a chill pill and refrained from my gut impulse of posting when I read your reply......

Bottom line is NO. the radio won't do what you want. There is no way that the radio would know if the airplane is on the ground or in the air. The way Danny explained it to you is one way of working it. Switch on PLUS throttle below a certain point = choke on. There is no way to PREVENT the choke from coming ON if BOTH of those requirements are met. IT does not matter if the airplane is on the gorund or in the air. There is no way of programming if one condition is met before the other.

IT becomes YOUR responsibility to prevent the switch from coming on in the air. IF it does, then you will have CHOKE ON when you bring the throttle back down.

May I suggest a rubber band over the switch for after taking off?

Rafael
Old 05-21-2007, 09:09 AM
dsnyder

Correct, the transmitter does not know when the airplane is on the ground or in the air, it can not automatically set the mixes based on the aircraft being on the ground or in the air since it does not know. With the mix I described you have 2 conditions to get the choke to come on, that is the highest level of safety you can get.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:26 PM
lowflire4

Apparently my wording wasnt accurate, sorry for the confusion.

My original question simply... Could the choke only activate if the throttle was already at idle when you flip the switch and NOT activate when the throttle is moved down to idle if the switch is ALREADY flipped on.

I now have the answer, sad my 9C will do that, however i never expected the transmitter to know if in the air or on the ground.

Will there be any more feature to the 2.4 version of the 9303?

Thanks Danny.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:29 AM
dsnyder

It will not, the system has 2 conditions with that mix, if the throttle is in the position set and the switch is in the position set, it will move. There can't be a 3rd condition to the mix. The programming features of the X9303 2.4 are the same as the XP9303.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:08 PM
lowflire4

Thanks Danny.