Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Earth magnets and interference

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 07:56 PM
reincarnate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earth magnets and interference

Will using "rare earth" magnets to hold hatches and other misc. parts in place cause radio interference? Came up at the field today, and now I'm questioning a decision I have made. With the magnets being as strong as they are, I wonder if the lines of flux from the magnetic field will react with the receiver. JR 790 PCM and probably standard digital servo's.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:53 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Earth magnets and interference

While it would be best to separate them as much as possible, I've never seen any problems due to magnets inside an airframe.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Keefer
My Feedback: (2)

I'd like to revive this post. Just yesterday, I flew a new electric with a previously flown single conversion Rx. In the new model, the Rx antenna passes within 1/4" of the rear hatch magnet (rare earth), and I was seeing glitches on all channels momentarily as the plane passed the TX antenna axis (or within about 5 degrees). I've not seen this before on this particular Rx/Tx combination, and the previously "good" combination was with a brushed Speed 400 motor, the newest an outrunner.
I may re-route the Rx antenna, fly and repost results.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:02 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I never thought of these little magnets that I buy at Radio Shack would have a issue.
Been useing them for years with NO problems. I usually have two of them on my large gas planes to hold the wing bolts and and hatch screws.
I have a small electric model with a outruner motor and the light JR reciever and the Magnet is about one inch above the antenna with no problems.
But it is something that I will keep in mine when glueing them in place.
Jim
Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Keefer

I'm not sure the magnet is the problem here - just a possibility. There may be other issues with the Rx or antenna routing. We'll see this weekend, and I'll re-post.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Keefer

Well, it's not the magnets. Hitec Feather single conversion Rx was the problem. Now using a Berg 7P - no sweat.