Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

AR9000 Data

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR9000 Data

Hi Danny: I have 2 test flight on my AR9000 with 2 remote receivers and a data logger. Can you tell me if these numbers look good to you? I have about 10 flights total so far on the Spektrum module and everything feels like it has been solid. I am having a tough time deciding to switch permanently to Spektrum or not since my JR 10X and R2000's have been so rock solid since I got them.

flight 1 flight 2

A 15 . 7
B 13 . 4
L 17 . 3
R 3 . 2
F 35 . 54
L 0 . 0

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:20 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AR9000 Data

Those numbers look to in an acceptable range. The antenna fades are low and without any holds it sounds like the set up is good.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:28 AM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Danny and Chris,
I have an X9303 on backorder along with the flight logger and an add'l satellite receiver.
I have not seen a manual on the logger yet but I'm going to guess...
A & B are two satellite Rx.
L & R are the two main Rx antenna.
F is the frame loss
L is the number of lockouts?
Whew!
If I got that right y'all can break in to singing the Star Spangled Banner!
Is the difference in counts between flights 1 & 2 of any significance?
Chris, did you move anything between flights?
Thanks!
JLK
Old 06-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Danny - I'm really curious about how to interpret the data, also. I'm holding off buying the logger until I understand what the data is telling us, and what range/criterion each parameter has as a min/max. Is there a place where this data is shared? I really like to quantify what measurements mean....
Old 06-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

A&B are the internal receivers in the "main" receiver. L&R refer to the left and right remote receivers
Old 07-02-2007, 08:28 AM
dsnyder

All the information for using the flight log comes with the flight log and also with the module systems.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...nual_LoRes.pdf
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM9540
Old 09-29-2007, 09:23 AM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Danny:
Is the Spektrum Flight Logger compatible with the JR R921 receiver? Also wondering if you can interchange Spektrum remote receivers with the R921.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Since it's the weekend, I'll run this by you for your consideration...

It's my understanding that the only differences between the AR9000 and the JR921 is the case color and they are manufactured in different places, this according to Danny's past posts which I've been watching quite carefully.

So the data logger and remote rx's from Spektrum are supposed to work with the R921's I saw this information in another of Danny's posts, if they don't work, I've spent a chunk of money on stuff that won't work with my new R921's whenever they finally show up.

I ordered this stuff from Spektrum as Danny said they are interchangable and JR has not yet released remote rx's for the R921's and I want to run two remote rx's on my gassers.

Hope that helps?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:39 AM
NJRCFLYER2

Well, since I posted this morning I tried a little experiment. I took a remote receiver that came with my AR7000 and tried it on my new JR921 and the receiver will not bind when it is plugged in. It's fine on the AR7000 and the JR921 is fine without it.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Zeeb

Are you talking about using it as a second remote rx?

If so, I've seen a few posts about some difficulty with getting the 9 channel rx's to bind with the two satellite rx's. Can't remember exactly what the cause/glitch was right now tho, I'll have to see if I can find it...

edit info:

Okay this isn't the exact thread I was thinking of, but take a look at it and see if it's got anything useful for you?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_58...tm.htm#5864863

I'd certainly be interested in what the resolution to this question is?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:46 PM
NJRCFLYER2

Interesting. I was finally able to get the JR921 to bind with the Spektrum as a 2nd remote. It seemed that I had to orient the transmitter to be closer to the Spektrum remote to make that work (but still several feet away). However, after removing the binding plug and following normal power-up procedure (TX on, wait 5 sec, Rx on), it would never sync. So I brought the Tx antenna right on top of the Spektrum remote ( about 2" ) and everything suddenly worked. Then I repeated several times and the same exact thing happened. Did a re-bind, no change. Then I tried bringing the Tx right on top of the JR remote to get synch. Nothing. Move to the main Rx. Nothing. Move to the Spektrum remote. Success! Repeated several times, same exact results.

Possibly a bad remote? I took another Spektrum remote and replaced the original Spektrum remote. Exactly the same results. BTW, both of these remotes bind quick & easy to the AR7000 and don't exhibit any issues on normal power-on cycles. I have this down to a science now. It makes no difference how far the Tx is from the complete receiver set assembly when they are powered up, i.e. it can be across the room, or at a normal distance such as would happen at the flying field on power-up. It also makes no difference how long I wait. They never synch until the 9303 is within 2" of the Spektrum remote. I can "walk" the Tx antenna along the string of receivers at any speed and synch will never occur until within 2" of the Spektrum remote.

Needless to say I can't trust this arrangement. Hopefully this can be proven to be some kind of issue with firmware revs or something, but it's clearly a problem. The AR7000 stuff is almost a year old, the JR921 is brand new. Probably needs to go back for that silly capacitor issue anyway.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Zeeb

Thanks for your work and investigative efforts...

Since I don't yet have my X9303, any R921's, or AR9000's to play with, I can't help on this end but I ordered three Spektrum satellite rx's along with the Spektrum data logger to go with my three new R921's when they get here, based on what Danny had said about them working.

I'm guessing you'll be trying to find a solution so I'll try and keep track of this thread any other posts I see about this issue as well as yours.

Danny has practically sworn on a stack of bibles that the SB on the AR9000's doesn't apply since they're built in different locations. But I'm still figuring on looking at the boards on the R921's when they get here. If they're built to the same spec, I don't see why it would not apply unless there was a manufacturing spec change we're not hearing about.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:58 PM
NJRCFLYER2

I guess it's possible that I've got some mix of revisions that they haven't tested together. Let's see what Danny thinks. I might be sending this stuff in.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:07 PM
FlatSpin

All,

I just received my X9303 last week. I also got the data logger and an extra satellite receiver. Everything works great with the 921, EXCEPT that when I try to rebind with the data logger connected, the receiver will not bind. I don't know if that is a system "feature" or "anomaly"??? It took me several attempts to get the system to rebind when I relized the logger was still plugged into the reciever. As soon as I unplugged the logger, the system bound perfectly, with and without the extra satellite receiver. After I had all of my adjustments made, I plugged the logger back into the receiver.

I flew the stock 921 receiver system in my trusty "modified' Trainer 40 and really tore up the sky. I flew in every orientation, including snap rolls, loops, rolls, hammerheads and then from about 200-250 feet did 27 flat spins. I only had a max of 16 fades on any antenna. I then added the extra satellite reciever (as far back in the empenage as I could get it) and it only showed 7 fades.

I am confident in the system and will install it into my Sukhoi this week. Now to wait on the backordered 921s...

Dave

Old 09-30-2007, 04:27 PM
FlatSpin

Let me clarify that, it was a max of 16 hits on any one antenna, NOT fades!

D
Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 AM
dsnyder

The remote receivers are interchangable with JR and Spektrum and the data logger will work with the R921. Zeeb, the bulletin for the AR9000 does not apply to the R921 as you noted that I said.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:14 AM
NJRCFLYER2

Danny, does this mean that I've got something defective? Can you please respond to what I posted, because they don't act like they are interchangeable.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 08:36 AM
dsnyder

Outside of maybe a connection problem I'm not sure what might be happening.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:22 AM
NJRCFLYER2

Danny:
I've done quite a bit more testing with this at this point. It turns out that I can take the JR remote receiver and get reliable and quick binding on either of my R7000 receivers and it will also synch up quickly and reliably when used normally with the JR remote. It is also the case that the JR R921 binds quickly & reliably and also operates flawlessly with one JR remote into the R921

I have discovered that there is a way to get either of my Spektrum remotes to bind with the R921. Although there are very rare cases where binding will succeed if the transmitter is within a couple of feet of the receivers, the only reliable method is to walk 15 to 20 feet away and then turn on the transmitter with the bind button held. It's just the way it is, regardless of which Spektrum remote is used on the 2nd (left) receiver port. This is with the JR remote on the primary (right) port. It is also true that if I take either Spektrum remote and use it as the only remote on the primary (right) port of the R921, it has similar difficulty binding, but I don't have to stand quite as far away for it to succeed.

Now, as far as normal use after binding is concerned with the R921 with the JR remote in the right port and the Spektrum remote in the left, it is also very sensitive to how much separation there is between the transmitter and receivers when the receivers are powered up. The further away they are, the better the chance that they will eventually synch-up and operate. If the transmitter is about 10-15 feet away when the receivers are powered up, it stands a good chance of synchronizing within about 20-30 seconds. I was getting about 80% success rate when 15 feet away. Sometimes it takes about a minute. In all cases except one, when it would not synch for some reason, by going back to my earlier technique of bringing the Tx antenna within 2" of the Spektrum remote, then they would also synch. Also, if only the Spektrum remote is used as the primary remote, synchronzing is flaky, often requiring 10 to 15 foot separation, but occasionally succeeding when the Tx/Rx set are within a couple of feet.

To summarize, everything works great until either Spektrum remote is used in some way on the R921. It is very clear to me that there is a compatibility issue that correlates closely with signal strength whenever the Spektrum receivers are connected to the R921. I want to now hand this over to Horizon to follow these procedures and see what happens. Please keep in mind that as I mentioned on the phone with you, my AR7000 receivers were purchased when they first became available. Whether or not that is the critical factor affecting compatibility is something I would like you to determine with equal diligence as I have applied to testing and reporting this to you.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Zeeb

Okay here's a quick update for the weekend on my experience.

I finally got my X9303 and have extra Spektrum satellite rx's to go with the R921's and Spektum satellite antenna extensions as well.

I plugged the JR satellite rx into the R921 using a Spektrum 12" extension and the Spektrum satellite rx with it's 24" extension that they come with, into the other port on the R921. Set up a new model with the basics in the X9303, and powered the rx with the 4.8 volt battery that came with the set and a three wire switch, using the switch's charge lead for the bind plug.

Powered up the X9303 and it did it's thing in about 3 to 4 seconds with the tx within 2 feet of the rx.

Just as Danny said it should, so it is sounding like you've got some sort of glitch...[]
Old 10-06-2007, 07:20 AM
NJRCFLYER2

I can easily believe that receivers from both brands that were delivered this month are working properly together. I'm trying to use Spektrum remote receivers that are from the epoch of remote receivers for Spektrum receivers. If you look at how all my components behave, they appear to be perfectly good until combined as described. This begs the question of what, if anything I would return for service. It makes me think that engineering changes have occurred to the Spektrum remote receivers that affect their compatibility to what is being sold today in the JR brand. This is what configuration management is supposed to help manage and prevent, or at the very least, enable a manufacturer to properly identify any incompatibilities that may exist as products evolve. All that I'm asking for is a plausible explanation of why I see what I see. The guess of a bad connection just isn't hitting the mark.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Zeeb

Okay, I wasn't aware of any possible problems associated with the earlier stuff and the later move to the JR branded components as it's all supposed to be Spektrum RF stuff.

Granted none of my stuff is older than 5 months so I don't have any other satellite rx's to try with the new R921.

I tried it since this was a concern for me where I want to use dual satellite rx's on my gassers and your experience along with an occasional post by some others about the same difficulty, while others have no difficulty caught my attention.

As I said earlier, I appreciate you posting your question and efforts to diagnose/solve the problem. I've subscribed to this thread so I can keep track of it, please let us know what the final resolution is?
Old 10-13-2007, 06:10 AM
NJRCFLYER2

Quick update: I bought a new Spektrum remote receiver and tried it as a 2nd remote on the JR921 with the JR remote attached. It went through binding instantly with no apparent sensitivity to the proximity of the transmitter as was the case with the older Spektrum remotes I tried. It also has no apparent sensitivity to transmitter proximity when synching up on power-up after binding. These are very quick tests which I will go through more in depth when I have time. Trying to get an airplane ready right now! BTW, I also bought a new Spektrum 9 channel receiver, which I haven't tried yet.

The one difference in the configuration now, beside the fact that the Spektrum remote is new, is that since it came with a 24" extension it is now physically twice as far from the rest of the receivers than it was before. Later I will try various combinations of old remote vs new on long vs. short extensions, as well as introducing the new Spektrum 9 channel. There is the possibility that the problem is due to proximity of receivers vs. age or internal engineering revision of HW/SW.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:50 PM
NJRCFLYER2

Danny:
After much additional testing, here's the summary:

- Both of my original Spektrum remote receivers that were purchased when first available (almost a year ago) with the AR7000 bind and synch reliably, have 3 to 4 times the minimum range every time tested and have performed flawlessly in large models at great distances at all attitudes when used with their original AR7000 receivers. I can interchange these remotes with either of the AR7000's and get perfect results every time. Works perfect with either a DX7 or the X9303.

- However, both of these original Spektrum remotes continue to exhibit all of the bind and synching problems described in detail in previous posts in this thread. This is also the case when used with the new 24" extension that I just purchased with a new Spektrum remote receiver.

- In addition, I have also just tested a new Spektrum AR9000 receiver, which binds & synchs perfectly with the remote it was packaged with, as well as with the JR remote that was packaged with a new JR R921, as well as with the new, extra Spektrum remote that I purchased last week. However, both of the original Spektrum remotes from the AR7000's exhibit the same, exact binding and synching problems as they do with the JR 921.

Bottom line: Extension lengths make no difference. There are no bad conections with any of the extensions. Old Spektrum remotes originallly sold with AR7000's work perfectly with the AR 7000's and malfunction in any configuration with either a brand new JR 921 or a brand new AR9000. BTW, the R921 works great in the air too, with or without the 2nd (new) Spektrum remote. I tried it with the 2nd remote today and got very good results with the data monitor, with only single digit antenna fades on any receiver.

So there it is. I guess I send my old Spektrum remotes in for replacement or upgrade, even though they work perfectly with the AR7000, correct?

Old 10-14-2007, 11:59 PM
NJRCFLYER2

Forgot to mention: Both of the AR7000 receivers also bind & synch perfectly with ALL of the new remotes (the JR and both new Spektrum remotes).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.