Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

AR7000 won't bind

Old 08-05-2007, 06:37 PM
wdgreen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR7000 won't bind

Have a 4th RX that has been working fine in an ultrasport. 10 or so flight, rock solid.
Put it in my 1/3 extra and did a rebind on a new model #. Worked ok and I set up most of the radio. SWiched off the RX but forgot to remove the bind plug.RX won't accept a bind anymore. Main RX light goes solid but Aux RX continues to flash.
Any ideas?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:08 AM
wdgreen

Default RE: AR7000 won't bind

Update on the binding problem.
If the RX is off for about 10 minutes I can rebind no problem. If I switch off the RX and switch back on, the Main RX light goes solid but the Satelte RX continues to blink. IF I wait about 10 minutes both RX's connect no problem.' Whats going on here?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:35 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the light is flashing it is going into bind mode, which it should only do with the bind plug installed. Do you have the bind plug installed? There is no need to rebind after you have bound the receiver and set all of your failsafe positions as desired.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:14 PM
leyland384

Danny,

We also need to rebind if significant trim changes are made to throttle, or servos are reversed. There always seems to be some confusion regarding this.

Does the receiver store "power up" and trim positions for the aileron, rudder, and elevator servos too? I know if I make changes to my idle settings (Like when I had to reduce idle a bit on my nitro machines when transitioning from winter to summer flying) I need to rebind so the engine goes to the right idle setting on a failsafe.

Just curious to whether this has an effect on the rest of the servos, or if this is a throttle only phenomenon. If so, this would warrant a rebind after trimming a newly maidened aircraft.

Thanks,

Adam

EDIT: I do rebind after making trim adjustments. I assume the receiver does store the trim settings, because the stick positions of the transmitter is stored during binding (this would include trims). The issue is, we don't see this effecting other surfaces because the failsafe only moves the throttle to the binded postion. The other surfaces remain in the "last known good position". Can you confirm Danny?

Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:30 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You set all the channels fail safe positions during binding. Only the throttle will go to fail safe in the event of a hold, all other channels will hold position with the AR7000 (the AR9000 from Spektrum and R921 from JR also have the option to have all channels go to fail safe). On power up before the receiver links with the transmitter, all the channels will go to the positions stored during binding.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:37 PM
wdgreen

ORIGINAL: dsnyder

If the light is flashing it is going into bind mode, which it should only do with the bind plug installed. Do you have the bind plug installed? There is no need to rebind after you have bound the receiver and set all of your failsafe positions as desired.
The RX will not reinitialize when the power is cycled. If I wait 10 minutes with the power off then turn it on the RX/TX work fine. IF I shut off the RX and try to turn it on again it will not work.The satelite RX continues to flash, the main RX light goes solid. No bind plug installed. I can BInd etc as long as I wait between power ups.
My 3 other RX's don't do this.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:35 PM
leyland384

That sounds like a LINKING problem, not a BINDING problem. If both the satellite and main receivers don't lock on at power up, the system won't work.

Check to make sure the patch cable that connects the satellite to the main receiver isn't loose, or partly disconnected. Try unplugging the cable on both ends, check for bend or damage pins, then plug everything back together.

Also, you could try taking a satellite receiver and cord from a known "good" receiver and plugging in to this main RX and see if there is a problem with the satellite unit. You might have to rebind if you attempt this...

I was installing a receiver in a model, and I powered up without the satellite plugged in, and this type of bahavior resulted. The main receiver stopped flashing, but wouldn't work until I reconnected the satellite and cycled power.

Also, just curious, but how close is your transmitter to the receiver when you power up? Try moving it a few feet away.

Seems odd that waiting 10 minutes would make much difference... you might end up sending that in to get it looked at.

Adam
Old 08-07-2007, 09:01 PM
wdgreen

TRied another satelite RX. works OK. I flew with this RX and had no problems. Of course I never cycled the power quikley between uses. Just boxed it up and sent it to Horizon.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:46 AM
essence25

ORIGINAL: leyland384

That sounds like a LINKING problem, not a BINDING problem. If both the satellite and main receivers don't lock on at power up, the system won't work.

Check to make sure the patch cable that connects the satellite to the main receiver isn't loose, or partly disconnected. Try unplugging the cable on both ends, check for bend or damage pins, then plug everything back together.

Also, you could try taking a satellite receiver and cord from a known "good" receiver and plugging in to this main RX and see if there is a problem with the satellite unit. You might have to rebind if you attempt this...

I was installing a receiver in a model, and I powered up without the satellite plugged in, and this type of bahavior resulted. The main receiver stopped flashing, but wouldn't work until I reconnected the satellite and cycled power.

Also, just curious, but how close is your transmitter to the receiver when you power up? Try moving it a few feet away.

Seems odd that waiting 10 minutes would make much difference... you might end up sending that in to get it looked at.

Adam

It is exactly that problem. I've done some experimenting with the satellite disconnected and those are the symptoms that it exhibits. I've also noted some of the newer (thicker) harness/wires that connect the satellite are very poorly made and the pins inside the white sockets are not crimped properly to the wires.
The plastic wire sleeve is not crimped for support to the small socket pin and the whole wire hangs on the actual conductor strand. (few twists and turns and that will rip the strands in the wire until it breaks) I like the thinner harness they have that seems to be better crimped.

Also the AR6200 receiver works fine without the satellite attached.

Here is a strange one, on the AR7000 disconnect the satellite, turn on transmitter, power up the receiver, light goes solid but receiver does not work, however if you press with your finger tip in the satellite connector a few times suddenly the receiver starts working as if the satellite is connected. This is happening with more than one AR7000. I find this very odd. Same can be obtained by slightly wiggling on any servo or power connector that is plugged in the AR7000.
I've also noted randomly that the AR7000 will pair (rarely/randomly) when powered up without the satellite attached.

If someone at Horizon can answer how I can get the receiver to pair with the DX7 without attaching the satellite and by gently wiggling on connectors that would be an interesting note. Obviously everyone should use both the receiver and its satellite in an actual model. This is just some experimental stuff that I've tried.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:00 AM
leyland384

Yes, That is what I was doing too... I wanted to see what would happen if there was no satellite. I would think that the system would not connect without the satellite attached at power-up. This would ensure everything is working properly at power up, and make it impossible to power up and fly without the satellite attached. Then, to take things a step further, I would think that if everything powers up okay and THEN you uplug the satellite, it should continue working on the main RX as long as power is not cycled. (This would simulate a wire coming loose in flight). That's how I would design it... The problem is, what about a case where the wire comes loose, then there is a power brown out due to a poor electrical setup? Uh oh. Multiple failure point.

I wonder if this could be what's causing some of the crashes. If the satellite connection is bad or broken, then the plane has a brown out due to a bad power set up, does it reconnect? This is one of those multiple failure scenarios.

I haven't specifically tried this, but I'm going to see what happens when I get home tonight.
Interesting... maybe even scary?

Adam