Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX7 and AR7000 won't bind

Old 08-25-2007, 10:09 AM
PoMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 and AR7000 won't bind

I won a DX7 radio at one of the local Jet Fly ins, installed the receiver in a 4*120 with a Fuji 24 Gas. I was having a lot of trouble with interference with an Airtronicks set up before and just knew the Spectrum would solve that problem. Anyway, I installed the receiver in the plane spread the two receivers apart per directions, plugged everything in, all charged up and ready to go. When I turned the power on to the receiver with the bind plug in both LED's flashed once and went out. When I turn the power off and back on the LEDs will flash on and back off and that is all. I went ahead and went through with the bind process but it doesn't work. Any suggestions or do I have to send it, the receiver, back to Horizon? Like I said I won this in a raffel and do not have a receipt, what would I need from the LHS to show ownership for warenty purposes??
Thanks for your help
Gary
P.S. I have already ordered a new DS7000 from Horizon for another plane and will try it when it comes in.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:39 AM
dalita
My Feedback: (82)

Default RE: DX7 and AR7000 won't bind

That has happened to me also. Try plugging the power lead into an open slot (or unplug a servo to make an opening) and put the bind plug in the bind slot in the receiver. Worked for me. Dale
Old 08-25-2007, 11:52 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not real familiar with the DX7 but know that you have to use a "3-wire" switch harness like comes with the system or bind at the RX. Are you doing one of these?
Old 08-25-2007, 12:03 PM
John Clarke

Make sure you have the "BIND" plug is in the "BATTERY" slot. Any other slot on the receiver will not work for binding the TX to the RX. If you do it right you will see a series of flashes on the receiver RED LED , that is the "GUID" identififer being sent to the RX. After that is done remove the "BIND PLUG" and turn on the receiver. The receiver should then light the RX RED LED light and ready to be set up for your plane. How do I know well, I did the same mistake when I got my DX 7.

John F. Clarke
AMA 9473
Old 08-25-2007, 03:52 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bind is usually done through the switch, therefore you have to use the battery slot on your RX for your bind plug if it did not work with the switch. If it will not work with the switch it is simply because it is a 2-wire and not a 3-wire cable on the switch assembly, and the Bind process requires all 3 wires. Here's how I did mine; I went to my Rx, removed my switch plug from the battery position and plugged it into one of the Aux positions. Then I took my Bind plug and inserted it into the BAT position I had just opened up. I followed the rest of the binding instructions with no other changes. The premise here is to make sure that your Bind plug connects completely with your BAT position on the RX, which means a three-wire cable or switch, or by just plugging it straight into the BAT postion and leaving out the middlemen!

After you're all done binding successfully, you can move your switch wire back to the BAT position. This solved it for me, I had the same thing happen.

Jim
Old 08-25-2007, 06:51 PM
PoMan

John, Jim, Bruce, Dalita - You guys are the greatest! I did as you suggested and "Viola" the LED started flashing and I was able to bind my receiver to the transmitter. I guess the key here is the type of switch I was using (not the one supplied with the DX7). Once I got the receiver and transmitter talking I just switched back to normal battery power and all is well. Plans are to maiden the 4*120 tomorrow. I'll be re-reading the programming manual tonight.

BTW: If I had not posted here I probably would be sending the receiver back to Horizon unnecessarily, waisting my time and theirs due to a little ignorance on my part. Ignorance isn't necessarily a bad thing "you don't know what you don't know". Now, thanks to the great wealth of knowledge that can be gained from these RCU Forums, alnong with some common sense of course, I won't be sending the receiver in and I know more than I did this morning, of course at my age it may all be gone by tomorrow morning but Hey, I have it tonight. What?
Thanks to all you guys who are so willing to help,

Gary
Old 08-25-2007, 08:51 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary,
Anytime! I'm just glad when I know enough about something to help! As they say, Pass it along! Your chance to help out will come.

Jim
Old 08-25-2007, 09:21 PM
John Clarke

Glad to help been there done that!!

John F. Clarke
AMA 9473
Old 08-27-2007, 12:12 AM
leyland384

Gary,

Before you proceed with testing your plane, be sure that your battery is big enough for your model. A lot of people are using batteries that are too small for the aircraft they are flying. That results in a reboot of the Spektrum receiver, and possibly a lockout.

Please, Please be sure you do a proper voltage check before flying, and even better, check your battery voltage under load. At the very least, check your voltage while a pal is putting pressure on the ailerons and rudder to simulate flight loads. The battery should never drop below 4.8 volts. (The receiver does a hard reset below 3.5)

When you get everything set up properly, it's awesome.

Good luck, and good flying!
Adam