Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

.50 size heli servos

Danny,

I have a Raptor 50 and I would like to upgrade to digital servos. What JR servo would you recommend? I don't need the Best servo out there, but something that is designed to handle the load of 3D aerobatics (nothing super extreme).

Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: .50 size heli servos

I used JR8231 digital servos and had very good luck with them in my .50 sized 3D helis.
    Chad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks! I picked up two of these for my cyclic controls.

I have a G500T with 810G servo. I'm looking to upgrade to a digital JR servo for the gyro and would prefer something that can handle 6.0V. Does anything in JR fit that bill?

Thanks!

Tail servos are designed to handle up to 6V, but they will not handle a 5 cell nicad or nimh battery pack. If you intended to use higher voltages, I'd recommend a voltage regulator on the tail servo / gyro.
    Danny Snyder
    Horizon Hobby / Team JR

very nice but you'll need to regulate it to 5V

http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Def...odID=JRPS8900G

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I assume they can't handle the 5-cell NiMH pack because when fully charged, they put out more than 6V?

Sounds like I need to get a voltage regulator (6V) AND a step-down (5.1V) for the gyro/tr servo. Kind of weird to put a voltage regulator on a NiMH pack (I think LiIO when I think voltage regulator), but OK.

In doing a lot of searching, the 6V regulators that I see are designed to work with LiIO packs. For example, Align has several regulators and step-downs, but the descriptions indicate that the regulators are for use with LiIO packs ONLY. SO, what do I need to buy here? I have two 6V 1500mAh NiMH packs that I want to run in parallel. I need a step-down for the tail rotor servo/gyro. Can I buy just the step-down from Align or Duralite? Do I need to couple the step-down with a 6V regulator? What regulators are out there designed to work with 5-cell NiMH Packs?

Correct, a 5 cell pack will in general be higher voltage than 6V, even when not fully charged. You may not need to regultate anything besides the tail servo/gyro. I've heard of some regulators out there that are simply for 2 channels (tail servo and gyro gain), I'm not sure who all has them, but I believe Align may have one and possibly some other companies as well.
    Danny Snyder
    Horizon Hobby / Team JR

Yes you can buy the Align voltage stepdown separate Align part#K10333A
    http://grandrc.com/inc/sdetail/60060

but this is a .9 volt drop, not a regulator. so if your NiMH pack drops to a lower voltage and then you cut .9V off from the tail you could potentially run into a low voltage reboot of your gyro. I run this between the gyro and the tail servo which would at least minimize this risk.

You may want to consider running a lipo anyway. Align has a really nifty device which gives you a 2S lipo, a voltage regulator for the flight servos and an on board glow lighter for less than $60
    http://grandrc.com/inc/sdetail/88836

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca80390.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	761552  

That isn't the item I was referring to from Align, they have a 2 input/output regulator, or have one coming.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=AGNHE50H05

Other similar devices are available as well.
    Danny Snyder
    Horizon Hobby / Team JR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chad