Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Hiding the wire

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:03 PM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hiding the wire

Has anybody been able to conceal the wire from the antenna mast to the RF Module? I'm ready to convert my 10X to SS but that wire bothers me. Add to that, while at the field yesterday I noticed another pilots' conversion and found the terminal post loose on his RF Module. Later I discovered how that happens. When the TX is not is use, when it is leaned back or layed down on the handle, that post is subject to damage. The pilot is an accomplished flyer too and was surprised when I pointed the connection to him. He takes extreme care of his planes and equipment.

I won't mind modifying my 10X to conceal this connection. It is my favorite radio and I'm not presently interested in the soon to come 12X. So I thought I'd post this forum to check for mods.

brg,
-SK
Old 11-27-2007, 06:21 AM
pippy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hiding the wire

i didn't like the terminal post sticking out the back so i made a small right angle piece for the post to go onto . Now it doesn't stick out, when i put the radio down on a surface the handle protects it from damage.My radio is a JR PCM9X.I have heard of a pilot who put the antenna post inside the radio but the module then would not be removable.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:41 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Modifications to the system are not recommended.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 AM
SkyKnight

Yes I can understand why it is not "recommended" because it may require entering the radio case which is not everybody's 'cup of tea' but it is also prone to failure in its' current design. My question is for those who may have modified things a bit. Pippy, I thoght about changing or modifying the connector too. Thanx for the idea. I haven't gotten my set yet to look into any changes but plan to get it soon. Basically, right now I'm just fishing for ideas.

Thanx for your input.
-SK
Old 11-28-2007, 09:08 AM
dsnyder

That is certainly not true, they are not prone to failure.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:20 AM
SkyKnight

Danny,
This quote below is from another thread currently running on the RC Jets Forum. This is exactly what I am talking about. My experience Sunday and this one equal 2 instances and I'm sure there must have been more. Now do you understand my concern?
-SK

RE: Question Ref Spektrum fades/frames figs. - 11/26/2007 10:08:17 AM

two dogs

Status: offline Hello Geoff..........the only problem I've had with the spectrum system has to do with the antenna connection on the back of the transmitter module.....the connection has to be snug tight......but it is very easy to slightly bump the protruding connection and loosen it.........a slight loosening caused my reciever to go into hold.....the system recovered and the plane was landed safely............upon range checking after landing the "only slight loose connection" was found and normal range was restored by snuging up the connection..

needless to say , now on my pre-takeoff roll i double check the antenna connection for tightness

David C

(in reply to Dave Wilshere)
Report | Post #: 21

Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 AM
dsnyder

Literally thousands of users are out there with the modules with great results.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:30 PM
SkyKnight

Danny,
I'm not trying to argue or even disqualify the product. I'm merely looking for ideas to remove this potential failure. I agree there are literally thousands out there working fine. Of those thousands I'm sure there are others that have experienced the condition myself and David C have encountered and probably just retightened the nut (as David does) and accept the fact that there is no other fix or alternative. So now I hope I explained things a little better.

I have heard of a guy locally that has made a modification to install the wire internally. As soon as I can meet with him and see his change, I'll pass along the info. Until then, hopefully we'll see more real life experiences.

-SK
Old 11-28-2007, 12:46 PM
pippy

I am a believer of Murphy's law that there will always be some little problems especially with new technology. If it can go wrong then somebody somewhere will give it the chance to go wrong. All I have done is changed the angle of the connector ,i haven't hidden the wire or modified the connector link in any way. Maybe JR will look at mounting the connector parallel to the module instead of at right angles. The range check after the mod is exactly the same as before.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:19 PM
SkyKnight

Kewl!! Do you have a picture of the connector you use or a description to be used to order one?

-SK
Old 11-28-2007, 03:16 PM
pippy

Here you are skyKnight
Old 11-28-2007, 03:36 PM
SkyKnight

Looks like you removed it all together and fashioned a new bracket. I get the idea now. Thanx Pippy !!

-SK
Old 11-28-2007, 03:42 PM
sfsjkid

One of the guys at the field took advantage of the fact that the connection at the PC board is a press on connector. He made an appropriately sized hole in the module and TX back then routed everything internally. Only problem is that he has to remember not to take out the module.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:41 PM
pippy

I prefer to be able to remove the module to use 35MHZ for older models. I am using the 2.4 for my F3A electric models to eliminate glitches from the motor/esc etc.