Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spectrum voltage protection?

Old 11-30-2007, 04:57 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum voltage protection?

I will be getting the 2.4 module soon (MX22) and have been reading on the subject.

I was going to get the capacitor to prevent any sudden drop of voltage (cut off)

1- is the capacitor for ground application only ; if yes why?

2- plug into open channel meaning like a second power pack it can be plugged on a Y into the same ch as a servo?
if NOT why?

we're having some problems to get facts: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_66...tm.htm#6694066
Old 12-03-2007, 09:37 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spectrum voltage protection?

Yes, the capacitor is for 1/12 scale vehicles that use a 4 cell battery to power the motor and hence have a low voltage output. It will do nothing/not help anything installing it in an aircraft. Simply put, you need to size the battery pack properly for the model. A battery etc can be plugged into any port in the receiver.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
vasek

Thanks Danny.

So basically you're saying all the jet guys flying with the capacitor don't know what they're doing?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:33 PM
teryn1
My Feedback: (77)

yep, I'd trust Danny way more than the jet guys.

ORIGINAL: vasek

Thanks Danny.

So basically you're saying all the jet guys flying with the capacitor don't know what they're doing?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Get the popcorn out. Dennis
Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 AM
dsnyder

The Spektrum voltage protector does nothing in aircraft. It does not help anything. It is not intended to be used in aircraft.

Direct off of our web site:

Overview
Spektrum's new Voltage Protector prevents a DSMâ„¢ receiver's voltage from dropping below the proper operating level in lower voltage applications such as 4-cell 1/12 carpet racers. Installation is as simple as plugging it into an open channel slot on the receiver unit.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:02 PM
dgfick
My Feedback: (1)

Just because someone has a lot of money to drop on a plane doesn't know that they know what they are doing or that they are making smart decisions.

"What does all of this stuff do inside of this jet? I don't know, but I know how to start it. Lets fly the B!tch."
Old 12-08-2007, 10:23 PM
seattle_helo

It may be that the Spektrum capacitor does not serve a purpose in aircraft. but EMCOTEC Germany does have one specifically for aircraft. You can read more about it here:

[link=http://www.rc-electronic.com/html/englisch/unten/dpsi/dpsi.html]http://www.rc-electronic.com/html/englisch/unten/dpsi/dpsi.html[/link]

Personlly, I think they make good sense. At $18 each they are extremely cheap insurance as well.

nick

Old 12-09-2007, 12:01 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: seattle_helo

It may be that the Spektrum capacitor does not serve a purpose in aircraft. but EMCOTEC Germany does have one specifically for aircraft. You can read more about it here:

[link=http://www.rc-electronic.com/html/englisch/unten/dpsi/dpsi.html]http://www.rc-electronic.com/html/englisch/unten/dpsi/dpsi.html[/link]

Personlly, I think they make good sense. At $18 each they are extremely cheap insurance as well.

nick

Just read the ad and it says nothing about being for aircraft. In addition it appears to be virtually identical to the Spektrum unit. Waste YOUR money if you wish but don't encourage others. It's a simple capacitor and won't do what you are desiring it to do. Buy better batteries.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:18 AM
pupmeister

Fromeco also have a backup capacitor system now called the D-Cup, unfortunately they do not have anything on the websites about it and the only reason that I know about is due to post on various forums.

Cheers
Pupmeister
Old 12-09-2007, 01:29 AM
seattle_helo

Bruce, based on your response you clearly don't seem to understand the purpose of the capacitor, what it does or how it does it. Also, every Emcotec component is designed for aircraft and no other purpose. I'm using 5000mAh dual LiPos in my $12k turbine heli, so battery quality is not an issue. What is an issue is preventing Spektrum receivers from doing a re-boot due to low voltage, even from quick transients under extreme load, and that is exactly what a capacitor helps prevent. It's actually a perfect and elegant solution. If you're running park flyers than it's a non issue, but once you have real money in the air, you'd be crazy to not utilize them.

nick
Old 12-09-2007, 04:06 AM
vasek

Nick I also do NOT understand why all people connected to Spectrum say it's NOT for planes. I believe the same as you that the issue has to do with current draw & the current don't care if it isn't in planes or not.[]
Old 12-09-2007, 08:24 AM
jlkonn

How many mAh does one of those things hold?
JLK
Old 12-09-2007, 02:11 PM
seattle_helo

JLK, I'm not sure about that. I definitely do not know a specific mAh figure. Let me see if I can find that out.

nick
Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: seattle_helo

Bruce, based on your response you clearly don't seem to understand the purpose of the capacitor, what it does or how it does it. Also, every Emcotec component is designed for aircraft and no other purpose. I'm using 5000mAh dual LiPos in my $12k turbine heli, so battery quality is not an issue. What is an issue is preventing Spektrum receivers from doing a re-boot due to low voltage, even from quick transients under extreme load, and that is exactly what a capacitor helps prevent. It's actually a perfect and elegant solution. If you're running park flyers than it's a non issue, but once you have real money in the air, you'd be crazy to not utilize them.

nick
Of course you are right. I'll give back my Electrical Engineering degree and the 40+ years that I have worked in the electronics field designing and building avionics test equipment and well as repairing same. I learned basic capacitor theory back in the 60's. It's NOT worth the cost and provides NIL protection.

Danny- My apologies for bringing this argument to your forum.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:04 AM
teryn1
My Feedback: (77)

Beautiful - a perfect example of how money and $12k helicopters don't buy the truth and real answers.

Thank you, Bruce
Old 12-10-2007, 12:05 PM
seattle_helo

Bruce, I'm not certain I'm right. I'm in an e.mail conversation with the lead engineer at Emcotec right now to clarify exactly what the capabilities of this outboard capacitor are . That said, many guys who are far more knowledgeable than I utilize them in their setups and the reasoning behind it makes sense. Why are you so absolutely certain they do nothing whatsoever?

JLK, capacitors can't be rated in terms of mAh directly but rather in µF – the Emcotec ones are 10.000µF. Even though we cant rate them in mAh, the capacitor is like a small battery because the internal resistance is very very small. When you apply a high voltage peak the capacitor smoothes the pulse. Ditto low voltage, and that's what we are most concerned about here.

nick

Old 12-10-2007, 12:25 PM
dsnyder

Guys, this forum is not for open discussion. As such, I'm closing it down.